Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
learnt the effect of vinegar on tomato the hard way

Posted by ceth_k 11 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 20:22

Yesterday morning I went and poured a cup of diluted vinegar(about 1 part synthetic vinegar to 5 part water) on my tomato plants root to help them utilize those nutrients available at lower pH and after 8 hours this is what happened:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: learnt the effect of vinegar on tomato the hard way

Vinegar is known to kill many plants people call "weeds" so it only stands to reason that it would not be good to pour any on a desirable plant.
Why would you think that pouring an acid on the soil a plant is growing in would help it utilize nutrients that are not available because the soil is already too acidic?

o

Where did you acquire the notion that it would help the plant?

If it was somewhere on-line, please go back and tell them it's a bad idea that KILLS plants.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 10:36

I have routinely used 5% white vinegar to lower soil pH around the base of our blueberry shrubs. We have hard water here in Madison, Wisconsin, supplied by city wells that are drilled down into limestone aquifers. Our untreated tap water has pH around 7.6, so everyone has a water softener for washing clothes and for bathing. I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket to dilute the vinegar, 12 fluid ounces of vinegar per 4 gallons of cold tap water. With our water, from our local wells, this particular mix will lower the pH to around 5. Since blueberries do best at pH of 4.5, this particular mixture is appropriate for blueberry shrubs. I don't know the best soil pH for growing tomatoes, but this dilution procedure should give you some idea of what might be appropriate for living plants.

o

@kimmsr:I don't know why I did that but I guess I was just being stupid.
@lazygardens:No one told me that. It is just that my soil bubbled a bit when I mix it with vinegar and that caused my to assume that my soil has free lime and maybe some vinegar would help my tomatoes a little. Bad decision. Now that I think of it the bubbles were too small to indicate free lime. They could be just some air escaping from soil.
@ericwi:Thanks for sharing that.I will try to remember this ratio next time.

o

" Now that I think of it the bubbles were too small to indicate free lime. They could be just some air escaping from soil. "

Bubbles could be a sign of several things... I don't know how accurate the bubble test works, but i don't think i'll use it..

o

I would go ahead and flood the plants with water few times ,to wash down some of the acid.

o

I'm just jealous that you have tomatoes in December. :-]

As you've already found, vinegar (and many other chemicals available to the gardener) is powerful stuff. As the Wicked Witch said, "These things must be done DELicately!"

o

Oh snort, tox.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here