Neighbor thinks he know everything!

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 21:06

Errrrrg he posted on FB
Simple soil test
Add baking soda to soil- if it bubbles the soil is acidic
Add vinegar to the soil if it bubbles, it isAlkaline
No reaction is balanced soil
Then it says to increase alkalinity add lime or wood ash from a fireplace or fire pit.
To increase Acidity, add sawdust. sulfer, leaves, woodchips or peatmoss
This was supposedly from www.facebook.com/Ilikegardening
I told him it's a little different than just dumping your years worth of ashes on the garden! There's a little more to it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor thinks he know everything!

Details,details. Next you will say watching late nite Jimmy Swaggart re-runs doesn't excuse me from taking mom and the kids to worship.

o

If only knowing the soil's ph can be as easy as that.

o

Sounds like the committee of blind people trying to describe the elephant!

o

• Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 12:13

read...Steve Soloman's "The Intelligent Gardener"

o

Much like many education/activist groups on Facebook...it seems "www.facebook.com/Ilikegardening" is run by someone who has little-to-no idea what they're doing and just tosses up any old thing they find on the internet that "sounds cool" to them for content.

They've got some really ill-advised and ineffective stuff mixed in with the good stuff.

The "homesteading survivalist" movement is creating a bunch of people who want to be good at 100 different things and too many end up being really bad-to-mediocre at 100 different things. They should probably concentrate on being good at 1-2 things then moving on to something else rather than trying to master everything at once so they can tell a good suggestion from a bad suggestion.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 15:10

o

Thank you all for your support! Nancy

o

To determine soil pH is a more involved soil chemistry science.
It is not that soil is either ACIDIC or alkaline. There are many degrees/shades of those two.

About the wood ash: Again, without knowing the pH of the soil that you are going to add ash to it, and without knowing tha amount of ash, it is hard to make a judgement. In my GA clay acid garden soil, I kept dumping wood ash for 3 years and my soil pH was still under 6.4. And I burned close to 3 cords of fire wood every year.

o

All true, and you're preachin' to the choir, brother!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here