Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White stuff in my house plant's soil

Posted by savannahbanana Sask (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 11, 06 at 23:21

I am very new to caring for plants, so I'm not sure about much. But since moving into my new apartment, I have been noticing more and more white chunks of something mysterious in my soil.... I have no idea what this is, if its normal, or if it could be harmful for my plants. if I were to describe it, they would look like grainy white rocks, but some of them feel a bit spongy..

all information is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White stuff in my house plant's soil

I'm guessing it's probably perlite.

o

Perlite or Vermiculite, minerals that are heated so they expand and then can absorb some moisture but also help keep your potting medium open for drainage.

o

Unless you have softened water it is most likely hard (dissolved minerals) which become salts and buildups in potted plants. They will appear as whitish yellow and mushy to the touch.
Perlite is white but will become this same yellowish color but not mushy, actually a bit hard.
House plants should be leached regularly, an easy method is to use dish soap and spray on the leaves, top and bottom, then sit in the shower and wash off and through the soil thoroughly. Allow to drain and dry then return to the window.

o

Or if the soil is kept too moist it could also be mold. I noticed that if I over water my houseplants...without allowing them to dry out between waterings...I tend to see white "chunks" on the surface of the soil. We have naturally soft water so I know it isn't salt deposits, and besides the white chunks disappear when I let the soil dry out. Just another thought...

o

"Grainy white rocks" is perlite. You may be seeing more because they float to the surface of soil. If you squeeze one between your fingers it should crumble.

Vermiculite is brown and rectangular, more spongy than grainy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here