Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making big stone steps

Posted by stevedug TN (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 13:05

i'm planning on making some stone steps up the slide of a hill. its about a 6 foot rise and a 10 foot slope. i wish i had a picture of the hill. these will be very informal and will not be a major walkway. they are in the backyard and i'd like them to be 3-6 ft wide so that they can be used to sit on also as they are close to a play area. i plan to use either large sandstone/limestone slabs, 2"-6" flattish fieldstone, or a combination of the two.

anyway, has anyone made such steps, have some pictures, or any practical advise. i'm wondering if i should set them in a gravel base or just set them on the dirt after i compact it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making big stone steps

Steps are a little trickier than a simple wall. You don't say your zone, but I'm guessing you have freezes in TN, in which case just putting them on compacted dirt will be a decision that you will regret in future years, as it slowly heaves out of place and gets more crooked with each year.

I'd recommend a book by David Reed (the art of stonescaping.) as I couldn't cover all the details. I'm sure you could get it at your local library. The important thing is to build your steps from the BOTTOM up, not top down.

o

hi stevedug

I am an amateur and have absolutely no expertise. I built a set of flagstone steps last summer on a bank that is smaller than yours. I used irregular pieces of very thick flagstone (4'-18' thick and very heavy). Unlike the advice given above, I built it from the top down. If it would have been easier, I wish I would have known, but my concern was being level with the ground at the top and working with what I had, I think it would have been very difficult to go the other way. I buried the stones right into the bank using sand for leveling. I hope maybe the thickness of the stones will keep it from heaving. I have no idea how it will hold up, but thought I would share it with you. It was very hard work but in the end it was all worth it. Keep the number of a good chiropractor handy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Steps

o

Ditto to both of the above replies - I have no expertise beyond having built some steps last fall, and I bet you have climate issues to think about. Mind you, repairs are possible so you can just lay stones on dirt and then redo with gravel if necessary.

As for direction, I think starting at the bottom makes more sense intuitively, but it may depend on at which end you can more easily flex your level, because you can't be sure your total height will be as predicted (at least, we couldn't). Those are nice steps, callousedknees, here are the ones we built (or rather I have to credit DH because my back was knocked out of commission by the stone wall and he did most of this).

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Hi Stevedoug-
I am a stone mason just over in Asheville. It's always best to start steps at the bottom of your slope, as you get toward the top you can always choose the next stones you use to meet the final grade. You can also rent a transit at your local equipment rental and that will help you determine the exact hight you need to reach. I always dig a base below the frost line, around here it's around 6-8". Next put down a layer of small gravel on your subsoil, make sure you have hit packed clay. You can adjust the level of your step by adding or removing gravel. Give your steps a very slight downward pitch, this will keep water from collecting on them. Then just work your way up, packing gravel around the edges of the stones as you go. You can also over lap the front edge of the upper stone with the back edge of the bottom stone to provide greater stability. Good luck!

o

I don't have anything to add, except a picture of the steps I built. That's wooly thyme on the steps and elfin thyme on the rest of the path. If you follow the link, there are pictures of the steps being built. I'm no professional either.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

o

I am building steps next week (weather permitting). I typically take pictures of my projects as they progress.

Photobucket

Here is the hill I will be adding random steps to. The steps are not going to be evenly placed up the hill but instead random to keep the hill informal and to draw the eye upward. You can see 2 flat stones I have placed on the hill in the areas I think I will be adding the steps. I will also add one more (higher).

I did the stack stone wall myself last fall. I was all stoned-out and just couldnt bring myself to complete the steps. Now spring is in the air and I am recharged and ready to tackle the project.

Wish me luck...

o

Good luck.

Judging by what you've done so far, I don't think you have much to worry about. It looks like you know what you're doing!

o

Not bad for a girl 'eh?

;o)

o

• Posted by amity 10-S.Calif. (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 16:18

Wow---These photos are amazing and what beautiful creations!

And
ElementalStone's information is informative and I'm printing it out for our next project!

Thank you all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here