Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many do I need?

Posted by kahlanne z8 LA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 19:15

My math isn't the best much less when you add patterns into the mix. Can you help me deside how many bricks I would need? Basically I am creating a patio under an oak tree with some existing old bricks and adding new ones to enlarge the patio. The old bricks will be used in a 4'X4' basketweave pattern. THe new bricks will be placed in a running bond pattern around the square basketweave pattern enlarging the patio to a size around 9'X11'. It can be slightly smaller or larger to get the design correct. Can someone clue me in to how many more bricks I will need? I have tried and can't seem to figure it out. Probably making it more complicated than necessary. Also, will the running bond pattern need an additional border or something around it? If so, what do you suggest? Would you do it in the same bricks as the "new" ones from the running bond or would you purchase a third style of bricks for that pattern? Hope you can understand this. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many do I need?

Go to a brick/masons yard, since they are in the business of selling bricks, they're very experienced in how to calculate the quantity needed.

o

Some brick yards will only sell you a pallet and will not sell you what you want.

o

the pattern used wouldn't affect the quantity.
I've used this for similar calculations.
http://www.source4me.co.uk/calculate_brick_block_mortar.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: brick calculator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here