Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type edging for a gravel/flagstone path?

Posted by jcat2 z8 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 0:03

I'm trying to put a path in my front yard, from the street to my front door. I want to do a compacted gravel base with stepping stones on top but spaced apart with gravel or possibly dirt between them so I can grow little plants between the stepping stones. I would like flagstone but I may have to go with concrete stepping stones due to budget considerations.

My main question is: I read that you are supposed to use metal or heavy plastic edging made specifically for building patios and walkways, not just the "landscape" or garden edging. Since the edging made for patios is really expensive (more than twice "garden" edging) I want to check before I just go buy it. I can buy the more expensive one if there really is a good reason to, but if the garden edging would work okay that's the route I need to go.

Would appreciate any info or idea yall could share!
Thanks, Jo Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type edging for a gravel/flagstone path?

If it's a flat surface and the ground can't slip away from under the slabs, they should hold, I would think, if you compact the dirt quite well. In your zone you probably don't have to do a crush base, could get away with just sand. We have a flagstone path like this, the stones aren't going anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here