Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie starting soon

Posted by tufftufa Z9 coastal SC (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 10:00

So now I have a sufficient stack of stone, I'm about to start laying out a patio. I've never done heavy work (but since I've picked these up, put them in the trunk, taken them out, cleaned them up, moved them to the back yard, sorted and stacked them by size over many months, I am not exactly unknowing) and I wanted some advice about lifting.

You see men wearing harnesses that have a wide girdle at the waist and fairly wide suspenders. You can buy them a the big box stores. Should I invest in this? I'm 64 and the 230 pound weakling. Want to take care of myself. (I'll have a helper, a husky 18 year old motivated by cash, not duress.)

Have good heavy gloves I'm well accustomed to. Advice will be appreciated.

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie starting soon

The best thing you can do is lift with your legs and not your back...although doing "ground" work it can be difficult to follow this pattern. I don't think the extra back support will necessarily prevent you from injury, but a good stretch before and after your work will help keep your muscles from snapping. Also, drink lots of fluids and breath well to keep your muscles oxygenated.

Another tip is to break the job over several days...say, do a portion a day and before you know it you'll be done. I have found this produces higher quality results because when you're working "tired" you tend to cut corners.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here