Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing stone patio over maple tree roots

Posted by mauross z7 Baltimore MD (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 12:17

We are thinking of installing a small (10'x10' or so) stone patio about 4' away from the trunk of a mature sugar maple tree. Most likely, we'd build a small retaining wall and lay the stone in a gravel/sand bed.

My concern is twofold: harming the maple and having its shallow roots dislodge the stones.

Another option would be to build a very short wooden floor.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing stone patio over maple tree roots

Iffy, iffy. One of two things will happen.

Once you put a big layer of gravel, sand, and stone on top of the roots, the maple roots may very well rise through the foundation in order to get water and air. This will cause all the stones to heave, and require endless corrections.

If the foundation is done properly, you will probably wind up with at least 10 inches of overlay, which may very well kill those roots. Given that it's so close to the trunk, this will not be good for the tree, as you could kill 20-25% of the roots. If it's a mature maple, it might be survive this, but sounds rather risky.

Of course, all of this will take probably 3 years or more before the roots cause problems or the tree begins to die. Trees that big don't die right away.

Me? I LOVE stone, but in this case I would go for a wooden deck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here