Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to install slate tile on dirt (not concrete)

Posted by thuha (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 12:22

i read everywhere, there is only instruction on how to lay tile on concrete. We have a concrete patio, look boring and not big enough, so we are thinking of laying 2 feet of slate tile on every side of the patio to make it look bigger and more attractive, do we really have to pour in concrete before laying the tiles? Pls share your idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to install slate tile on dirt (not concrete)

Iv done alot of outdoor work, Im currently trying to make a living running a land scape company.
I have the experience to back up what Im saying.
You are screwed !
Ok not really, you have 2 choices.
add the cement and tile over it, or you can dig down around it, put in about 2" of sand for a base, then use pavers, interlocking ones look best I think. Or bricks, and create the extension out of that.
Tile is good heavy adn strong when it has proper backing. You cant use it on dirt though, dirt moves, sinks, gets soggy and mushy, and allows air to get in and under. Tile is easy to break stepping on it in dirt, you can never dig it down enough to stop its slopping around and becoming fragile.
I know some people who have it outside in dirt, its unusuable space. They put a frame of 2x4s, sand, then the tile and it works pretty well, for setting some permenant pots on. You cant walk on it or use chairs or anything to make it a usuable space.
Iv done lots of landscaping, and set alot of tile. Your going to have to do it right and use the sand/pavers, or cement then tile.
Sorry to dash doing it on the cheap and easy, but if you did, you wuold have broken, muddy, ugly tile in a short time and it would all be wasted.

o
RE: how to install slate tile on dirt (not concrete)

We are Chinese Top slate stone manufacturer.Product category cover from slate paver,slate mosaic,slate veneer panel,flagstone,culture stone to slate pillar,slate water fountain and so on.All made from superior slate stone material selected from our ownself slate quarry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hebei Maplestone Industry Co.,Ltd.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here