Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fake Stone

Posted by kcjim204 Missouri (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 14:34

I belong to a water gardening society here. For our display at the current lawn and garden show, we built a "myan Temple" (step pyramid) with a wooden structure covered in styrofoam sheets. The styrofoam was treated with acetone and paint thinner to give it the appearence of worn stone. Then spray painted natural stone colors.It looks great. I have a chance of getting some blocks of styrofoam aprox. 18 inches thick. Has anyone used or seen anything like this used in home gardens. I am going to try it, but I'm wondering how it will be effected by our midwest weather.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fake Stone

Iv done sometihng close to this.
Iv made some small walls from various pieces of chicken wire and spray on foam. Iv used it to make better enclosures for snakes and lizards inside various aqauriums.
I use some stryrofoam and some spray on foam and carve it with an razor knife, spray on some acetone and then paint it all adn seal it.
Its good for stuff like that and Iv been debating making somethign larger for a backdrop to an indoor garden Im thinking about making. The problem being that what yuor talking about doesnt hold well in outdoor places.
the sun, the winter, the thaw the on and on and on.
Maybe you could paint it all up and seal it and put it out for summer and store it for winter and have it last longer?
Being new here I dont know any of he members or what they are into and how they have been around so with out trying to insult you, Id recomend taking a look at the hypertufa section of this forum. Im sure you can gain enough insite there to aid you in creating something that will last outdoors for years to come.
You could use the foam as the base and build up layers of the hyper on it and there are plenty of tips in that section on makign it look more natural and like real stone.
If your an regular user of this forum, and know all about the hyper, I apologize for filling you on what you already know, if not then glad I could help ya to find somethign that may work for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here