Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joedirt29

Finishing/Sealing Flagstone and Decomposed Granite

JoeDirt29
10 years ago

Last week I had a contractor install approx. 400sf patio of flagstone and decomposed granite, surrounded by a border of rectangular stones.

Once finished, they applied some sort of hardening agent to the dg between the flagstones. By the evening, the dg had started to harden fairly well, though there were still some soft spots. The next day we received several inches of rain. Now, a few days later the dg is starting to harden again as it dries out, but there are still some soft spots.

Additionally, the rain seemed to wash out much of the fine ground dg and has left only the larger more "pebble-like" pieces.

Overall it just looks unfinished and messy and I'm not satisfied. I don't want to worry that every time it rains, I have to worry about my patio getting worse and worse, and having to stay off of it for several days so as not to disrupt the stone (immediately after the rain it was very mushy and the stones felt very unstable.

My contractor has been very responsive, and wants to leave me with something I'm happy with. I'm just worried that this may just be the way this material and construction method is.

Is there anything that can be done to stabilize the dg at this point, or to kind of fill in the joints a little cleaner/better (like sand)?

Thanks

Sponsored
More Discussions