Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP with stone paths

Posted by kmac1196 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 21:34

I am a new homeowner and have zero green thumb ability. My backyard needs major work and if we had tons of money, I would hire someone to do it all but, alas, we are working folk. Here's my problem. I need a path from our deck to our dog pen and then to the pool. I'd like it to look nice and have no idea how to do it. Does anyone have any tips or pics? I've tried to get books or go to home and garden websites and haven't found enough to make me feel comfortable. Any help is greatly appreciated.....I'd send a picture but I don't know how.

Thanks in advance,

Kristen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP with stone paths

This is probably not the type of path you're looking for, but this is what I did in my yard. My path is not used in the winter. If you need to use it in the winter, this would be impossible to shovel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Path

o
Path Picture

Here's the other end of the path.

Here is a link that might be useful: Path Picture

o

All I can say Juggler is Wow! I think your path looks great and what a lot of work to haul all that rock then actually bury them in the ground. I'm trying to put a footpath in my front yard...from the street to the front door. Am trying to do mine with perhaps flagstone set on sand with with soil/gravel between the stepping stones to try to grow the little "steppable" plants between them. Thanks for sharing the photos...hope mine turns out even half that well!
- Jo Ann

o

Your way is the smarter way. My way was the cheap way. I have moss that I picked out of the woods and my neighbor's garden between my stones in the shade. In the sun, I planted elfin thyme. I ordered the thyme from Bluestone Perennials, so it came in very small containers (but healthy!). I cut those plants into fourths and planted them. They grew well, but they still have a long way to go to fill in all the spaces. I'll probably divide them again this spring to help them spread a little faster. I'm happy with the results so far.

o

Oh my. That is way beyond me. I was thinking of just laying some gravel to outsmart the mud. I'm really very limited in my gardening ability and I'm a stay at home mom so our finances are very limited, too. Any other suggestions for my situation are greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Kristen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here