Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stone Pathway help

Posted by coopcarcam 7 - Ft Worth texas (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 10:54

Hello,

i live in DFW area of texas and found some pretty white/orange (clay) color rocks at a construction site that I plan to use to build a walk way from my front yard to my back yard. My house is fairly new so I can rip up two sections of bermuda grass sod in less than an hour. The rocks range in a variety of sizes, but I picked out the ones w/ the flat surfaces as I have kids who will be walking on them as well.
Since I am a little new to something like this - I have a few questions:

1) How deep should I dig?

2) Do I level and tamp down the base?

3) Should I use regular sand or concrete sand or no sand?

4) What type of fill should go on top to fill the rest in?
I am not sure I want to fill in w/ mulch or let the
bermuda come back and fill in between. If so - can I
just lay regular topsoil?

5) Any other suggestions? Money is tight, So i want to keep under $100.00

Thank you very much in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stone Pathway help

I like setting my rocks flush with the grass. That way your lawn more goes over it. I like to do it right so I set them in concrete and have a 2' level so you place the rock while the concrete is still wet then level. I dig the hole about 2 to 3" for the concrete. The big thing is the spacing which is comfortable to me like 32" center to each rock. E-mail me if you want and I do this for a living.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here