Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very large stepping stones on grass for small patio?

Posted by Jenn z9/19 SoCA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 04 at 15:41

Are there any problems involved with laying very large square stepping stones right on top of grass to create an instant patio? The stones I'm talking about are 2-3 feet wide. We're wondering if there would be problems with just laying them on top of the grass and let the grass grow up in between.

This is a lot simpler than removing the grass, removing soil, adding layers of gravel and sand, etc. This small patio area would be about 10x10 feet, just enough for a small redwood patio table w/benches.

We have a little frost in winter but not in this spot in the garden.

Thanks,
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very large stepping stones on grass for small patio?

We just did a sidewalk this way, so I hope there isn't any problems. The only thing I know to worry about is having the stones low enough so the lawn mower can pass over without the blades hitting the rocks. I filled in the cracks between the stones with dirt and then threw out some grass seed. Now I am only wondering if maybe I should kill the grass and plant a low growing ground cover.

o

it all depends upon how finished a patio you like...
just laid right on the grass, the stone will sink and become uneven like the ground... an inch or two here, two or three there. As the organic matter beneath the stones decomposes, the stones will sink a little further.

o

It would seem best to prepare the site by digging it out, adding gravel and/or rock dust base...but then you do have the SOCA 'advantage'... assuming the site is level, go ahead and try just laying them out on top (athough you'll get a more finished look if you fill the cracks with sand or earth)...
Keep a watch over it all and if you see surface areas becoming unlevel, you can always pull the stones and redo it.

So when will the first party be?

o

As the organic content of the first foot or so of soil are consumed by soil organisms the spot will settle a bit.
In the long run removing the topsoil to use in other parts of the garden and compacting the base and then setting your stones on sand or stone dust will give longer lasting results.

o

I used the large 2'x2' patio blocks to put a very small(6'x4') "patio" under my swing that sits by the pond. i just laid down some black plastic and plunked the pavers on top...leveling wasn't an issue with a space this small and the ground was alreay fairly level. It has been in place for 4 years now, no sinking, etc. If i was rich i would love to a larger patio this way, right now i am putting in a fire pit and i want seating all around it, the budget calls for cheap to free so I gathered up all my rocks(just ones from out of the field) and am diggin up the sod, laying the rock in and then moving on to the next spot, the grass is my "mortar". I plan on planting some of the gaps and weed whacking the whole thing when needed. I almost didn't do it but i have a section about 8'x6' done in very little time, very little work and it looks good.

o

happyplanter, I would love to see some pictures of what you are working on, can you post some?
Thanks,
Jennifer

o

Hi Jennifer, just checked back on this thread, i will try to get some pics tomorrow and post them. It is a work in progress though, :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here