Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I seal Bluestone...and with what?

Posted by flyingflower 9, Bay Area (CA) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 19:21

I just had my patio resurfaced with Connecticut Bluestone tile. This is where we plan on placing the BBQ. Should I seal this natural stone? With what product? I'm worrying about grease from the food prep area ruining the stone. Would it be permanent or disappear over time?

I've been looking at stone sealers. Glaze-N-Seal makes a product that will repel grease but it's a surface sealer and will leave a gloss. I dont want any gloss, it darkens the stone so much it starts to look like slate (I tested a sample). So I much prefer a penetrating sealer. But Glaze-N-Seal's penetrating sealer will only repel water-based substances (I guess since it is water based itself). I didn't see any oil based sealer in this line.

Should I go with the penetrating sealer, will that at least keep grape juice from staining this light grey tile? Or just scrap the idea altogether and wait for a problem to occur and then worry about how to clean it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I seal Bluestone...and with what?

I never sealed rock but if you do just go to Homer and get a sealer for regular Satillo tile. I would maybe presure wash it once a year if it was mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here