Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gravel Pathway w/part slight slope - How to fix

Posted by judysgardens z7-8PNW (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 19:04

I put in a 35' gravel pathway that's 3 feet wide as you can see in the pictures below. Most of it is pretty flat and compacted, except approximately the last 10 feet. Because it is sloped on that portion, the gravel is loose and it has become dangerous to walk on. I've tried a couple things (as you can see), to see if there is an easy fix. The concrete square gets gravel on it and becomes slippery. The bricks are too narrow and I don't like the look and it is still slanted and slippery.

What I want to do is put in maybe 3 or 4 wide steps, not too difficult an installation. Possibly some kind of wood strips (redwood) or stepping stones. The pathway would have to be leveled out for each step, maybe a square wood border with gravel filled in the middle for each step. Or, possibly a stone or brick outline. Then, the gravel could be compacted and it would stay compacted. I've looked online but have not seen anything that matches my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gravel Pathway w/part slight slope - How to fix

You're on the right track with installing steps to make level holding spaces. Gravel doesn't work on a hill.

This forum is not frequented often. I suggest posting your question on the landscape design forum where you will probably get more help.

o
RE: Gravel Pathway w/part slight slope - How to fix

Thanks gottagarden - I did post it on the design forum and got lots of responses and good suggestions! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here