Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holy boulders Batman! What size equipment to move them?

Posted by bindersbee 6a UT (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 20:17

So, I had a full 18 wheeler load of beautiful sandstone boulders delievered to my naked yard today. They are the beautiful red/orange color of our gorgeous Southern Utah red rock country and I do love them. When they asked me what size rock I wanted, I told them big enough for a 7 year old boy to have fun climbing on. They took me very seriously! My largest boulders are about 6 feet wide by 4 feet tall. Most of them are in the 5 feet wide by 2-3 feet tall range. I also have some smaller ones.

I don't think the skid steer the excavation guys are bringing tomorrow will be big enough to move them. I have a relatively flat lot- the boulders aren't being used for retaining, they are purely decorative. Gotta love no maintenance landscaping! Do you think the skid steer can push these babies around? We have no lawn until AFTER we get the rocks in place so they don't have to lift them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holy boulders Batman! What size equipment to move them?

They'll probably be able to push them, but I doubt they would be able to lift them. Good luck and let us know how it goes! (I LOVE big boulders.)

o
RE: Holy boulders Batman! What size equipment to move them?

They were able to tumble them into place. Thank goodness. I'll bet it would have cost me some serious bucks to have a front end loader out. They look really big but once I get some trees and shrubs in the back and some nice perennials in front- they'll look just right.

Now, we just have to get the sod down and it will all start coming together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here