Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Finding Old Millstone and Grindstones.........

gardenlady48
18 years ago

I would love to hear how any of you have come by your treasures of millstones or old grinding stones. And specifically, what part of the country. I'm quickly learning that they are quite valuable in different areas. Here in Illinois I have had 4 given to me which is pretty awesome to me! I'm using 3 right now as a water feature. Sure would like to find some millstones though. Thanks for sharing your story!

Comments (52)

• stoneguy
    18 years ago

All the old domestic (Mid Atlantic) millstones seem to have found their permanant home is someone's garden. I have not been able to find any locally in over 15 years.

I have, however, found a source for old Chinese millstones & troughs, which are pretty cool. The millstones are only 20" - 26" diameter, thickness from 3" to 8". IIRC, we are selling them for about $200.00 in Rockville, MD

• downeastwaves
    18 years ago

If you are up for an adventure, have the skill to scuba dive in a dry suit, have a really big boat with a really strong crane and don't mind the really cold waters off the coast of Maine, you might be able to get some mill stones out in the bay off Eastport, Maine.

Last summer a tourist came into the Mustard Mill where I work and where we still use the same stones that were set up by our owners grandpa back in 1902. He said he just saw a lot of the mill stones on the bottom of the bay. I guess they used to use them in the bottom of the boats for weight....

• kmartinj
    18 years ago

We're in CT and we've found 4 complete millstones and 4 half millstones buried in our back yard! Although they appear to be worth a lot of money if you surf the net, no one in my area has been willing to pay more than $300 each for them. So they are in my gardens and we're using one of the halves as a stoop for the garage back door.

• Jim_57000
    18 years ago

It's interesting that so many folks are looking for old millstones. I have collected them for a few years now, and have a pretty nice collection. I have 22 millstones of various diameters and thickness. I've decided to sell my collection as a whole, so if anyone is interested in buying , please contact me by e-mail or phone. I can
    e-mail photos of them. Yes, authentic millstones are expensive. I'm located in Northeast Tennessee.

• carolsueelizabeth
    16 years ago

We had 10 millstones stolen from our property. Can anyone help us find them or let us know where to buy more? They were 8" thick, 18-20" diameter with a square hole. Any help would be appreciated. email: gardenguyc@insightbb.com or phone (812)449-4336

• agrowingpassion
    16 years ago

I have a wonderful water feature of 3 various sized stones small, medium and large, one of top of the other. I spaced each with three small stone (which are tucked toward the back close to the whole out of sight) the water flows down and has a small (maybe 1-2") drop to make the water nosier. The square hole is perfect for a small pump tube to come up through and gently cascade over the three stones. I stablized the tubing in the square hole with several small polished stones. I also have the polished stones (purchased at the Dollar Store) around the base to hide the screen. Looks very neat and I get a lot of comments on the whole thing. I originally was looking for the grinder stones for a walkway but decided I'd enjoy this water feature much more and I was right.

Look around PA and Ohio. The rural areas are where they used them originally to sharpen knives and farm tools. The hand made ones just aren't the same. One of mine came from NB. One from Maryland and one from PA.

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Why doesn't anyone who is selling or saying stolen say what state they are in? Most people aren't willing to pay for shipping these heavy things.

• travertine_guy
    15 years ago

I have several millstones available for sale at my business in Fishersville Virginia which is near Staunton in the Shenandoah Valley near interstate 81.
    I would be happy to supply pictures and prices for those who inquire!
    Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Augusta Outdoor Leisure

• lpptz5b
    15 years ago

When emptying a straw mow in a barn I bought,I found a grind stone with stand in very good condition.It still had original paint on it.The only thing that was missing was the foot pedal board .The wheel was in exelent condition.I would say the wheel was about 30 inches in diameter.
    It's still in my shed,but I'd like to put it on a porch along with some old 2 man saw blades I also found.

lp

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

I made these. I wanted some large substantial stepping stones at the edges of my gardens, something that can withstand the wheelbarrow bouncing on them. I love the look of millstones but can't afford them. It was also hard finding smaller ones but even when I did find them they still cost too much for my budget. So I figured out how to make my own.
    {{gwi:66695}}
    {{gwi:66691}}
    {{gwi:66692}}

• rosebush
    15 years ago

nmgirl, Great job!
    Please share details or email me. I would love to try making some of these. :) Thanks!
    Rosemary

• madcosta7
    15 years ago

NM Girl, can you share the info on how to make these beautiful "stones"? I was curious as to how you got the markings in them and what you used for a form. thanks

• auntieflowers
    15 years ago

NM Girl,

Please let us know how you created those great millstones. Count me in if you are sending private emails about it.

• timlaw
    14 years ago

I have just pulled a 68" millstone out of my yard and was offered 800.00 for it. I've seen them priced for 7600.00 on some sites. Don't know if I should sell for 800.00. Any ideas?

• Jim_57000
    14 years ago

For : timlaw

Can you e-mail me a picture of the 68" millstone that you have. Thanks wills3@earthlink.net

• nancybg
    14 years ago

For timlaw--if you are still interested in selling your 68" millstone please email me at ngrove@sbcglobal.net
    For any others, I am interesting in buying an antique 48 - 68" millstone, preferably from the South. Competitive bid.

• tehuti
    13 years ago

I cannot see the difficulty in making a "faux" millstone from concrete. After all it's just a round stone with a hole in the center. You can control the mix, color and weight, score the grit lines, add a few chips on the edges and only you would know. The cost savings could be massive :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info here on shape & size, etc.

• jan91156_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have an old grinding stone that is 16 x 4 inches with a square 2 inch hope in the center, I was wondering what it is worth, it has been in my family forever. Location: Columbia, SC

• mattdillon68_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I found a sandstone millstone in a creek working on a farm here in St Anthony Indiana the owner of the farm said his family has owned this farm for over 100 yrs and he never seen that in the creek i gess all the rain we just got must of uncovered it . Its 15x5in.and senter square is 3/12in dose any one have any idea what it is worth??? THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATOIN

• Promow12002_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am in the market for a millstone preferable from mississippi

• looseends1_7_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello, my name is peter from central new hampshire. I just bought a new home and found a 74 inch in diameter by 12 inch thick millstone in my backyard, im looking to find any info at all and/ or an assessement or an honest value of what it may be worth condition is good no breechs cracks or chips on the side I can see. The approximate weight is around 2800 pounds. Any education on this will be greatly appreciated. You can email me with any tips or advice or general interest in the stone email looseends1_7@hotmaol.com thank you!

• js2535
    12 years ago

I just stumbled on this post through Google and am glad I did.
    A friend of ours recently came a cross a buried millstone in our backyard and would like to know how we can appraise it. Our home was built in 1870 and was a farmhouse back in the day. Though the stone would look great in the garden, we are in need of extra cash (college expenses) and would like to sell it. Anybody have any suggestions for us? we are in nw Indiana if anybody is interested. Thanks in advance.

• ericmuse_facebook_com
    12 years ago

Hers the stone its 22 by5.5 with 6" diam cent hol @gerd on1. Side

• maverickx31
    10 years ago

Hello! Me and my son were walking the shore fishing, in the river behind our house and found this stone in about three feet if water. I'm guessing it is some old mill stone but I'm not sure. I think it must have been uncovered from the river flooding this spring. There were lumber mills a 100 years ago along this river. Maybe it came from one of those? I live in mid Michigan. Any thoughts?

• maverickx31
    10 years ago

Backside of stone.

• maverickx31
    10 years ago

Back side.

• tucket02
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am selling a rare old millstone in Cleveland, Ohio - most likely from an old farm in Westlake. Ohio (suburb of Cleveland). 6 feet diameter by 7-8 inches thick. Link is for craigslist posting where I have uploaded pictures. Call Jon at 440.539.3950 with questions or interest. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/5196988159.html

• Eleanor Jenkins
    8 years ago

My sister and I have a set of mill stones that we would like to sell. The stones belonged to our Great-Great GrandFather who had his own grist mill. Only interested buyers reply. The stones are in very good shape.

• aesmalley
    7 years ago

I have 8 grindstones and am interested.

• gottagarden
    7 years ago

Eleanor where do you live? How to contact you?

• Eleanor Jenkins
    7 years ago

I Live in Madison, VA. Contact me via my email: eleanorjenkins@wildblue.net

• dupre cochran
    6 years ago

i am interested in buying an old millstone in ct. 48" wide. please submit contact details. my builder will be in touch.

• Brandon Schroeder
    6 years ago

I live in Northern Wisconsin and pulled this out of my grandparents stream that runs behind their house last weekend. They've owned the land for 50 years and prior to that it was all undeveloped. The town they're located in started out as a logging community in the mid 1800's. I reached out to our local historical society to find out if they know of any other stones being discovered in the area. What I'm really curious to find out is approximately how old it might be. Does this style look familiar to anyone that they might be able to shed some light on? Thank You!

• Scott Mcdaniel
    6 years ago

I have two old millstones in South Ms. I would like to sell 601 876 8329 Scott

• Daisy Stuart
    6 years ago

Just bought an old house and discovered a very large circular stone in our backyard. It's 8 1/2 feet in diameter with a 12 in hole in the middle. It's 14 inches thick with a metal band around it. Is it a millstone? What type of mill?

• HU-145052440
    4 years ago

Found this at a small waterfall behind my house here in east Tennessee was not sure what it at first has 2 symmetrical holes on back side bout a inch and a half deep love the history and knowledge behind these

• Jamie Brown
    4 years ago

We have 3 antique millstones that are over 100 years old. We might be interested in selling. Contact us at brownjb@etsu.edu

• Erin Devito
    4 years ago

I have a millstone in the house we just purchased. about 50inches. Interested in selling.

• Roxanne Price
    3 years ago

I just bought an 80-year-old house with two antique millstones laying in the backyard. Both are huge. Any advice on how to find their value? Is this a collectible that can be sold? Thanks!

• HU-619101020
    3 years ago

We have several large mill stones 50 inches in diameter and approx 8 inches thick used in an old feed mill. Lititz Pa. Interested in selling.

Email. geraldsm191@gmail.

• HU-248567002
    2 years ago

anyone looking for one of these

• HU-248567002
    2 years ago

• HU-248567002
    2 years ago

Selling this

• HU-993953251
    last year

I have two that i would love to sell and i will deliver or oroce of gas to and from hotel for one night if needed i am near charleston West Virgina 3047862171 scott ine is big one is smaller

• HU-248567002
    last year

• Earl Gilbey
    5 months ago

Earl Gilbey , here living on Keswick Ridge , N.B. , Canada I have 17 fine millstones, been collecting all of my adult life. You can see some of my work that I have done all by myself. Google Earl Gilbey , stone wall and some thing should come up . Love working with stone and also wood. Carved some life size statues. If any one is interested , why google or email me

• Earl Gilbey
    5 months ago

Earl Gilbey's email is : gilbeyearl@gmail.com

• Earl Gilbey
    5 months ago

I live on Keswick Ridge , New Brunswick , Canada and I have 17 millstones , all kinds , French burh and granite . Two sets of runner and seat stones. 1-506-209-3333

• HU-672521276
    last month

My grand dad had a stone with sqaure hole in the middle 18 round and 3 inches thick whats value aproximitly

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996