Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Regular sidewalk with stone edging?

Posted by littlebug5 z5 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 10:54

I am thinking of replacing some old concrete sidewalk as well as creating some new sidewalk at my house. My house is natural limestone, rough-cut, with lots of stones used in the landscaping. Does anybody have any pictures of a concrete sidewalk with some kind of stone edging? Something that would make the concrete kind of blend-in with all the stone I already have? I do not want stone walkways -- too uneven to walk on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Regular sidewalk with stone edging?

I edged my concrete drive with 3 rows of old red brick (the house is red brick) because I foolishly had the gravel drive paved the original width. This was the width it was when house was built in 1920's and it just isn't wide enough for full size pick-up. I made the bricks the same level as the drive. I have had compliments on it, and it works like a rumble strip to let lousy backers (me) know when I am going off the drive. I would think that the stone would like nice edging your drive. I did not set my bricks the proper way, just dug out by hand, threw in some stone dust and eye-balled it level. I have to tweek them once in awhile, and there is a lot of weeding.

o
RE: Regular sidewalk with stone edging?

My front walk is concrete and I edged it with chips of limestone. By chips I mean the thin top layer that cracks off a large chunk. It has a very irregular look which is what I wanted. I have the walk lined with various perennials - lavender, campanula, dianthus, daylily, salvia. I'll send you a pic. I don't know if it's what you're looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here