Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lining and expanding an old brick sidewalk

Posted by deedlesmom zone 5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 12:44

I discovered an old brick sidewalk under a layer of grass and weeds, leading from our driveway to our front concrete stoop. Bricks are very old, but in great shape. I'd like to take them up and re-lay them. But what do I lay them in? Sand or something else? And I need to expand the width of the walk, what do you think would look good and not too new looking? More bricks on each side going perpendicular to the existing pattern or something else?
TIA, Sheree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lining and expanding an old brick sidewalk

Sheree,
Lucky you! I think that laying a perpendicular edge would look great. You can also buy brick in any number of different colors (including rough tumbled ones) that would come pretty close to matching those that you found, or you could even mix and match your old ones with new ones for a more mosaic look.

As for how to lay them, yes, they do need to be on a sand and gravel base. You can do a google search for "laying a brick walkway" and find lots of instructions. Here's one link.
......Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: brick walkway

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here