Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of a natural stone wall

Posted by amyruth33 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 08 at 13:43

We are in the process of hiring a contractor for building a natural stone wall. It will be approximately 3x100 feet with rock harvested from our property and some trucked in if necessary. The estimates have been, in our opinion, on the high side. $15,000 is the price and I was wondering if this is in the ball park. I have had a difficult time finding guys who work in natural stone as most prefer to bang out paver wall. You opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of a natural stone wall

Uh, just think about it $150/ft..... If I hire 5 local workers for lets say $10/hr that is $400/day. It may take 5 days to complete the job, Okay so that is $2000. Where are you located I could fly in, hire the workers, stay in a high class hotel and still come home with ten grand for a weeks work. Someone wants to get rich off of your paycheck. !!!!!

o

I agree. I do masonry on the side and I usually charge about $25-$30 per square foot. If there are corners, steps or other features then there is additional charges (b/c it's more time consuming) but I think that the price you got was a little high. I am assuming that was for a retaining wall. If you are doing a freestanding wall then the price you got may be really fair. Maybe you could ask jfranco to do it for like $3000.

o

$3000 for a 100 foot long by 3 foot high natural stone wall is ridiculously low, especially if they are gathering natural stone around your property, which is a lot of extra work,not only in the gathering ,but the difficulty of assembly. 5 guys working on it isn't any faster then a couple of talented people working on it. Where I live, wallstone alone costs around $15-$30 just for the actual stone. So lets say your need around 300 square feet of wallstone. at $30/s.f. thats $9000 without labor, or gravel, or any other misc. items. So what in hell are jfranco and gratefulgardener3300 talking about??? We're not talking concrete blocks here, boys...Peace.

o
REre: Cost of a natural stone wall

300 square feet @ $15,000 = $50/s.f

o

A 100' wall 3' high is gonna take a lot of stone,too. Anything over 2' will need a wider base for stability, that's also more stone; and like it's been mentioned there's gravel and/or sand that will be extra. I'd ask to see what projects the contractor has done in your area and go take a look at his work. If he's professional, you want a good job done and have the money, then maybe the $15,000 is fair.

o
RE: cost of steps?

Do you price differently for steps? differently than $25-$30 sq. ft.?

o

I know this is an old post dredged up, but this price sounds fair. Well-made long-lasting stone walls are really works of art which require great skill. (Hence most preferring to "bang out paver wall" but also hence the high price tag, especially if the stone is to be harvested from your property.)

o

We did a natural fieldstone wall with rocks harvested from our own property 300'Lx3'H the cost was a huge amount of sweat and one broken back. If I had to do it over again I would gladly pay someone else $15,000 to do it.

o

I see this is an old post but thought I would add a comment. I built a free standing wall with natural stone back when a was a girl in my late teens. It was for California State Parks, a large project and took about 7 people. I was in the Conservation Corps at the time. The key is preparation. You need to measure, stake and string the project for height/width and to make sure the ground is level for the first course of stone. Once that is done sort the stones you're working with and have them close at hand as you work. You'll need to keep mixing fresh concrete as you go but you can finish a great wall in a few days. It is very hard work but very rewarding as you get into it. You get a real rhythm and can begin to instantly see how the stones will fit together. Anyway, I went back to take a look at our wall years later. I still looked as strong and solid as it did on the day we finished. My recommendation is to grab a few friends and try it yourself... then enjoy your accomplishment .

o

Ok I hear two things. I to have a project that was not finished when I purchased a house that had two stone walls on the drive way. One is almost complete, They are block construction with real river stones on the front and side. The walls need to be filled with concrete already has rebar, and capped. The secound wall is complete block construction with about 1/3 of the stone in place. Each wall is @ 100-150ft and 9 feet tall. Both need to be back filled. I talked with several stone massons and get the same song and dance. It is going to take @ 10tons of rock and about 20K to finish the walls. The rock is only $110/ton, Why is it going to cost so much for labor, That's one mason working 40 hours per week for 18 weeks, the math doesn't add up. I think they see the house and say he's got the money why not take advantage of him. I am not saying that it would be easly, but really, what is the real cost. Wall is up you are just covering it with stoe and mortor

o

Homeowners rarely take into account home much time and preparation is really involved in these things. And if its real stone, like the photo above of a wall my crew made, and you want to landscape, you may have to remove rocks from the soil, you have to pay a guy to go get the stone in a truck getting 7 mpg you have to pay to park and insure, etc. The overhead is tremendous. And to build a real stonewall that will stand the test of time is a real art. I went to Vermont for 2 weeks to take a course from an amazing mason that cost me a few thousand to take. Not to mention the years of experience I already had/have. Then there's town codes. The guy I took the course from gets $80 a square foot. He creates amazing stuff. But for walls like the one pictured above.,, $50 a sq foot is not out of line if you want the keystones properly set, a trained artistic eye doing it, etc.Then when we're done, there is half a day of clean-up, and to throw away rock pieces at the dump can cost a few hundred plus the same driver and truck. You know, people think they know other people;s professions. If they did, we'd all be lawyers AND masons and actuaries. The states are hitting us to fill their coffers more and more. License fees, permits, new taxes each year, etc.
I run into so much sub-par quality work. And granted, I live around NYC where everything cost more. But if you want a professional project at completion?...Hire a professional!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here