Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with old river rock? help help!

Posted by hsmama CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 8:43

We bought our house a year ago and are hacking away at the old landscape. We have a hell strip with that yucky small river rock. it has plastic under it which has degraded and now has weeds thriving in it. I want to remove the rock and replace the yuck with xeric fabulous! What do I do with this yucky rock. I had been hand picking it and tossing it in my neighbors rock strip. But that is taking about an hour for a 1 foot section. I don't want to just 'trash' the rocks cuz it feels so environmentally horrible, but I'm really done with hand picking clean rock. If I dig it with shovel, it will end up being rock,dirt, weed, and plastic.

HELP!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with old river rock? help help!

You could make things from it, like the base of a birdbath, or even a garden pillar, sitting bench, just about anything. They would have an old-fashioned look. If you set the rocks cement then they become a decorative element.

o

If it's the 1-2" rock, buy a yard of 3/4 inch hardware cloth and sift it out.

It makes good "mulch" for potted plants: keeps cats from digging, retains water, and lets you dump a l0ot of water in the pot without washing out the dirt.

o

Take each rock, paint little eyes on it and put it in a cute box. Call them pets and sell them!

No, wait....That's been done already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here