Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slate versus PA Bluestone terrace?

Posted by amyjean 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 15:36

I live in upstate New York and am planning a stone terrace. I would love slate, but the only stone readily available around here seems to be Pennsylvania Bluestone. I understand that these are two different materials and that local suppliers carry the bluestone due to the flaking of slate. However, it seems to me that people have used slate for a long, long time, especially in these "northern parts" and I LOVE the look of it. Should I hold out to find a slate supplier or should I go for the "approximate" look with the bluestone? Other than possible flaking, what would be the advantage? Any other thoughts for someone setting out to have a stone terrace installed? Thank you, Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slate versus PA Bluestone terrace?

There is slate and then there is slate. If you use a product best meant for indoors on your patio it will blow (flake) after the first winter but a thicker local slate will stand up better. That being said one of the attractions of slate, after its colouring, is the less than perfect finish. Bear in mind also, that slate will be more expensive to lay than bluestone.

o
RE: slate versus PA Bluestone terrace?

Inkognito, thank you for your response. I've spied a pile of slate (no one seems to use it here much anymore) and if I can find out a little more about the quality of it -i.e. indoor versus outdoor, etc., I'll use it. In my opinion, I just think there's no comparison between the PA Bluestone and slate. Slate just has that beautiful...... slatiness? I don't know, but I love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here