Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capeheart

Creating a dry bed stream with stone?

CapeHeart
19 years ago

Hello

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question but I will ask any way.

We put in a ramp for my daughter off our front porch, she has always been independant and would rather have the ramp look more like a deck off the porch but we couldn't afford the additional wood and labor and just put in the ramp off the front and steps off the side of the porch. Since we live on the Cape we thought that it very much reminded us of a boardwalk. So a friend suggested we make a the ramp look like a bridge - great idea! So I called the utility companies to mark so we could dig for a pond/stream.

Well I think this year a pond is not going to happen - we have a small pond in the back yard that needs more attension and a dear friend took so much time in helping us build it. Soooo we thought we should put in a dry stream bed for now around the ramp.

Today I did my best to outline a stream that would look natural- a larger one on the left side of the ramp with more garden space and and a smaller one on the right side of the ramp. I plan to fill with small stones and outline it with larger stones and shells. I have seen this done on garden shows and it looks real nice. I thought about putting a fountain on the larger side within the stream.

Has anyone created a dry bed stream? Do you have pics? What would you suggest I plant around the dry stream beds? Both beds where the streams are located are mixed garden beds.

Many thanks :-)

Comments (6)

Sponsored