Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing Bluestone - Exterior Steps

Posted by tammyct CT Shoreline (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 8:47

We just had our front steps redone and our mason wasn't up on the lastest sealers (he's relatively new in the business) so I wanted to consult here on the forum. Our mason went over our existing pre-cast steps with granite and I had our local stone yard cut the bluestone for the landing. I also had them put a rock face on the edges. We are really pleased with the results; however I wanted to see what was available as far as sealers go. I don't want to change the look of the bluestone, i.e. I don't want to deepen the color or make it glossy. Just want to do any preventative maintenance to avoid oak leaf stains, etc. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing Bluestone - Exterior Steps

Very nice porch upgrade! I particularly like your choice to have the Bluestone rock-faced. It makes the job look so much better than a simple sawn or flamed edge.

For sealing without any change in appearance, you could check out the Stone Tech proffesional product line. I don't really think any sealer will truly prevent oak leaf discoloration completely. In my experience the brown stains from fall's leaves will fade away on it's own after the leaves are gone & a bunch of rain has rinsed the stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Tech Sealer

o
RE: Sealing Bluestone - Exterior Steps

Thank you for your comments and information. The rock face was my idea after seeing it at a local fine furniture store in Old Saybrook, CT. The job on this building was unbelievable and no expense was spared with workmanship (stone and wood). I quickly went to the same stone yard they used and changed my order to rock face. Makes a huge difference. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here