Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to keep smaller patio stones from shifting

Posted by mweinberg81 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 15:20

I recently dry-laid a ~450 sq. ft bluestone patio in my backyard. The pattern is a mix of large irregular flagstone and smaller tumbled bluestone. The stone is laid on top of a 3" of compacted base and 1-2" of construction sand. I then filled the joints with more sand. My problem is that the smaller tumbled bluestone occasionally shift when I step on them or place a chair leg on them. I realize now that maybe the smaller pieces were too small and I should have opted for larger flagstone, but that ship has sailed. Do any patio experts have recommendations for how to correct this? I am considering replacing some of the joint sand with top soil and planting thyme, sedum and other groundcover, thinking that it will hide the imperfections and hold the stones in place. I'm also wondering if stone dust will hold better than sand in the joints, but I don't want to compromise drainage, which is the reason I dry-laid the patio in the first place. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to keep smaller patio stones from shifting

I suppose the underneath soil was improperly compacted, causing movement. I recommend putting some stone dust combined with fine sand.

Maybe you should consider applying some sealant to your patio joints?

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Landscaping

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here