Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuck1856

Bluestone caps for stone wall

chuck1856
19 years ago

Hi everyone, I had posted this in the landscape forum but I think it belongs here.

My wife and I completed a short fieldstone wall, using some mortar on the inside and back to help it weather the years. We built it on a 6"+ compacted base of processed gravel plus a bed of crushed stone to provide drainage. The back side is completely isolated from surrounding soil by about 4" of crushed stone and fabric to keep soil from infiltrating. Since it is only 2.5 feet tall, I did not put in drainage tile on the backside.

Anyways, we have six 6' bluestone sections to put on top to cap it off. They're about 150 lbs each, so I don't want to put them on and off much while trying to get the alignment right.

I was thinking of building up a nice flat bed of mortar on top of the wall to set the caps on so they join up neatly. I could use a sheet of plywood to use as a jig, to check the aligment instead of lifting the stone on and off. Then a little construction adhesive to secure them, or just let the weight hold them in place.

Anyone have some do's and don't's for a job like this?

Thanks,

Chuck

Comments (3)

Sponsored