Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have pictures of replacing lawns with stone/pavers, etc

Posted by desmier Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 21:19

I would like to replace part of my dead and expensive lawn with something tasteful but not too expensive. Interlock is out. Anyone have any ideas? Websites that offer installation instructions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have pictures of replacing lawns with stone/pavers, et

• Posted by KarinL Vancouver Z8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 22:22

I'm not sure I understand your question as (a) lawn is usually cheap, and (b) if interlock is out, I assume you mean all pavers, so what do you have in mind to install?

I like concrete paver patios of all sorts, you'd be best off to go the a landscape supply yard and see what is available and what you like. Most have good displays. Flagstone is an alternative but is trickier.

I'm a big fan of books for such things as installation instructions, but Google will find you instructions on the web for almost anything if you make your search terms quite specific. Also if you buy pavers, the manufacturer might have a pamphlet with instructions.

o

Your first consideration is the style of your house.
I have a Mexican style house so I have a lot of pea gravel and egg rock. The area around the front door is pea gravel, egg rock and lava rock.
Right side of doorway.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Left side of door way.

Around pond in back yard.

I have some concrete decking and a paver patio that I laid myself.

My path ways and some of the driveway areas are chipped gravel.

I painted my driveway to look like stone and a side walk is painted like mexican clay tile.

But it starts at the road. I have eggrock and sand beds at my driveway entrance.

o

Very nice. Thanks for the ideas.

o

I don't have any pics yet, I took a few "before pics" today, even though I already have added a large bed with a rock border and a small bed with a rock border. We had 23 ton of flagstone delivered and are planning to replace about half of the front lawn with rock walkways, entry area, borders and then get started on walkways that extend to the back decks. If I can figure out how to do it I'll post some as we go along.

DH figured the easiest way to get some of that flagstone laid was to give about 2 ton to a friend, we even loaded it for him and waved it goodbye. (He is a very good friend who helps us with alot of projects)

o

cactusfreak - all the work you've done is very nice. Thanks for sharing the photos.

o

cactusfreak - very cool! Your gardens look like fun, you have done so much work, obviously a labor of love.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here