Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

What material with brick house?

Fori
18 years ago

I'm in the process of planning a front yard overhaul which will involve low retaining walls, mowing strips, and partially raised beds. The house is a 1920s Tudor style (dark to orange brick for first story, light stucco/dark half-timbers for second/third stories, concrete walk and steps, sills limestone that looks like concrete to me). It's a small yard so we don't want something too busy, but we aren't sure what would look best.

Most local landscapers have a thing for Unilock-type blocks, which are OK in some settings, but not mine. I think they look too, well, new. Too modern. Would a dark grey stone be OK? Should we try brick? If we do brick, do we try to match it? Match one of the many brick shades used on the house? Nobody stuccoes walls out here--is there a good reason for that?

Unfortunately, my neighborhood's yards are lacking good examples--most don't need retaining walls and those that do either have bigbox stacking blocks, Unilock type blocks, or were done 50 years ago with recycled concrete (Looks quite nice, but not for a front yard). There are a few PT timber walls, which actually get green and mossy and disappear but I'm not sure that would be the right look either. It would certainly keep us from using curves...

Are there general rules about what hardscaping materials can be used with brick? I'd appeciate any ideas on the topic. Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio