Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paver patio ???

Posted by mimi1221 7b AR (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 10:03

Hi there, I'm looking for a little advise on our project. We have started a paver patio. We are now to sand leveling part of the project.. Could some one please tell me how to do this part correctly. Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paver patio ???

We used a 2"x4" about 4' long. After preparing our site and tamping it, we poored the sand on it, trying to distribute it pretty evenly as we went. I then took my trusting 2x4 and started spreading the sand out pretty much the same you would concrete. After I got it level to the eye, I sprayed it with water and let it set over night, then came back the next day and did it all over again. Probably over kill to do it over, but I did. After that step I started laying the pavers. I'd lay one then tap it firmly with a rubber malet. I did use a level at this point, but kept all the pavers just a hair of plum in the back, giving it about a 4 to 6 degree grade to the patio, so it would drain well. I purposely did not use the tamper at this point electing to only set the pavers with a malet. I Wanted the patio to have some settling room, so it would have a more aged effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our 2004 garden photos

o

you should get some 1"pipe. get two of them, the longest you can find. put these pipes down next to each other parallel, then dump sand over it. use the wood to "screat" the sand. this way, you have an even 1" of sand every time.

when finished with the area, pull out the pipes and hand fill the pipe indentation with sand.

after you are all finished, dont forget to compact again on the pavers....the 1" of sand should compact about 1/2".

this is how the professionals do it!

o

You should consider laying them in screenings, which is really crushed stone. Screenings will compact far better than sand which will hold the patio or walkway in place better and longer.

Sand is comprised of round grains while screenings is made up of flat, round, and other shaped grains which allows it to tamp down better.

o

DO NOT WET THE SAND!

SAND IS BETTER THAN SCREENINGS BECAUSE IT HAS SOME GIVE IN YOUR FINAL COMPATION OF THE PAVERS AND YOU RUN THE RISK OF HAVING THE LIME OR IMPURITIES OF THE SCREENINGS BLEED THROUGH TO YOUR PAVERS.....IE LIME RUNS...

CRUSHED STONE SHOULD BE THE BASE MATERIAL 4" COMPACTED. THE SAND SHOULD BE ONLY 1", USED ONLY FOR LEVELING.

PER A.S.T.M. AND B.I.A. SPECS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here