Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flagstone of varying thickness for path...Help!

Posted by Shelley_T z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 16:13

I have a stepping stone path that I made with various stones. (landscape supply stopped carrying the first choice) 2 years ago I removed the sod and filled with mulch between the stones. Every year I've had to go back and level the shifting stones again. Plus I get crab grass that loves to grow into the path. I'm sure that the mulch is not a good leveler, but I like the look. Any suggestions?

The stones are a step appart and the path is about 2.5 feet wide with grass right up to the edge.

TIA,

Shelley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flagstone of varying thickness for path...Help!

I hope someone with more experience jumps in here and helps with some better answers but I'll try. In your zone you probably have some freeze heaving going on. When the ground freezes and thaws it moves, you need a 2-3" base of some sort, sand is the most common here, if you are near rock quarries you might use rock dust or grindings. You need to pack this in and then work your flagstones into it so they set even or level. Then you can fill in with your mulch or whatever.
As for the crab grass, if you're going to have lawn right next to the flagstone you might consider trying to find a herbicide designed to kill crab grass and not your lawn, don't know if that is possible as my lawn IS crab grass with alittle bermuda.
I know that digging out and adding sand and releveling is alot of work, we are currently working on laying 23 Tons of flagstone around our house. It has been going much slower than I expected but DH has promised that as soon as we finish the front yard area he won't be so picky with the rest of this project.
One more thought, I went on a home and garden tour yesterday, one of the homes was owned by a landscape designer who had laid a flagstone walkway all kinda cattywhompus, uneven like, and filled in the cracks with fine gravel chips. He said it made it look old, it did at only l year, and he could spray any weeds that grew with roundup. I'm taking DH over to take a look and see if we can get some more ideas.
Good luck on your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here