Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stone wall for rock garden

Posted by eigdeh z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 21:23

I need to make a raised garden and would like to use flat stone as the wall. Is it just a matter of buying the stone and neatly piling them up?

I am making the garden on the lawn and the area is firm, level, and solid. Should I just start placing the first layer right on the lawn? Does one need to pack between the rocks with cement or sand? If not will watering cause the dirt to wash out the wall?

Lastly... will the pressure of the soil and compost press the walls out?

Thanks! Any help is surely appreciated.

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stone wall for rock garden

I think it is a bit too much to ask of anyone that they explain in a forum posting what experts take whole books, or at least several pages with diagrams, to explain.

We just built our first stone wall and as guidance used a book called Stone Work: Techniques and Projects, by Charles McRaven. In it he answers all your questions and more. Your library or bookstore would be a place to start, although come to think of it the stoneyard where we bought the rock is also where we found a selection of books.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here