Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkangel86

Is there supposed to be this much dirt in my rocks?

Arkangel86
9 years ago

Hello folks, new to the forum and am in the process of designing my backyard with fruit trees, shrubs, and hardscape.

I had 2-3/4 yards of 2" river rocks delivered and am down to about the last 3/4 yard and there is a ton of dirt mixed in. Is this normal?

It makes it kind of pointless to put down weedblock and have it nice and clean, i tried spreading them to about a 1" layer and hosing the dirt off but its so much im just making mud. The wet area in the picture is mostly a 1" layer and the rest is 4-8"

Do I need to go back to the shop and see if they can comp me or is this normal??

Comments (8)

• Arkangel86
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:288654}}
    {{gwi:288655}}
    {{gwi:288656}}
    {{gwi:288657}}
    {{gwi:288658}}
    {{gwi:288659}}
    {{gwi:288660}}
    {{gwi:288661}}

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the amount of dirt in the purchased rock but wanted to tell you how I was able to re-use rock that was dug out of sandy gardens and loaded with dirt:

I sifted it all.

My 82-year-old Dad made a sturdy sifter out of two-by-fours and 1" wire mesh. I put it on top of bricks at each corner (so it's off the ground) and shoveled in the rocks. A lot of dirt falls through and then I shake and bang it around for the rest to filter out, or you could hose it all off.

A good upper body work-out!

Susie

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    9 years ago

It should be delivered clean. That is unacceptable, and the shop should compensate you.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

The scoop bucket went a little too low. They should give you a break in the price.
    I would rake the rocks aside, leaving the dirt behind, except for what sticks to the rocks. That can easily be washed off. No need to screen em'.
    Mike

• dbarron
    9 years ago

That's how you'd find it directly in the river here in Arkansas. If it bought it, I'd expect it cleaned I think.

• robfrontier
    9 years ago

No, that simply isn't right. They should either give you a discount or send more rocks.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

If you bought 2" river rock, they should have screened it first.

there's usually some dirt, unless you pay extra for washed rock, but that's way too much! Looks like the bottom of the bin

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I was a landscaper for over 35 years and have had a lot of rock delivered over the years. I have also picked up a lot.
    Once the rock is dumped you usually have no compensation coming to you. It says that on the sales slip. All loads should be inspected before it's dumped. I know, too late now for that.
    It's pretty obvious it's not up to the normal standards of anybody in the landscape supply business.
    Sometimes employees do work that is not condoned by management. I think that's what happened here. You can take pictures and bring it to the office and ask for compensation of some kind. I'm sure an agreement can be reached.
    Some time has passed since this was originally posted. Archangel86, anything happen since then?
    Mike

Sponsored
More Discussions