Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Ding Dong the Lawn in Gone...Yahoo!

Posted by sunnysandy z5WA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 14:08

I'm a new member, this is my first time ever in a "forum"
I am an vegetable gardener who finally took out her front yard grass, did the lasagna layering and am ready to design with about 50 med size rocks discovered semi-buried in my alley 50 year old Laurel "tree" and about 50 new drought tolerant plants, ie: sage, thyme, lavender, rudbeckia, some
dwarf evergreens, grasses, sedums, hebes and local elderberry and red twig dogwood.

My front yard was flat and with the help of lasagna layering I have created some dimension and raised the whole elevation of the site.

I would like to keep the whole front yard natural looking and without any brick edgings, manufactured items, or masses of the perverbial bark mulch seen everywhere in great mounds around KFC, Taco bell, etc., etc!!

Any ideas or inspiration (picture wise) on humble placement of medium size rock and natural ways to create foot paths across this lofty area? ALSO...the Lasagna experts always say you can plant the same day but isn't there quite a bit of air pockets and too much organic material not broken down yet that might kill the roots of newly planted plants. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I live in a 'banana belt area of the Pacific NW and my front is total southern exposure. I would like to create a fusion of Southwest xeriscaping and a Mediterraen beachy look.
Thankyou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Ding Dong the Lawn in Gone...Yahoo!

Great!! I believe all those pretty green lawns are an absolute waste of time, work and money. If you can afford it, buy a few good ref. books, or get them at the library. I have one; "Stonescaping" by Jan Whitner that overs everything from Japanese to European styles.

I'm just SW of Pt. Orchard and slowly eliminating the grass thru use of rock, 'found' items and plantings. While many plants are chosen for color and form, I try to incorporate as many that have edible parts.

o

Thank you Rain1950 for the book recommendation. I've poured over at least 50 books from local library and visited some of my favorite garden in town.
Now that I am placing the rocks the designing of plants around them is easier and lends toward a more natural placement. I too will be incorporating some edibles in the front yard as there are quite a few gorgeous vegetables to show off!

o
RE: 'Ding Dong the Lawn IS Gone...Yahoo!

Someone gave me a beautiful plant for my new front yard. It is a self-sowing perennial that has fairly delicate leaves and a gorgeous shade of blue/violet on the leaf tips. She does not know the name of the plant. It's going through a bit of transplant shock right now, I sure hope it makes it as it is a very striking plant...could anyone help me identify it? Thank you.

o
Need help identifying beautiful plant

My lawn IS still gone and friends and family are gifting me with some wonderful plants to help cover all this gorgeous soil! One friend yanked up a bit of this great and tender perennial that self-sows, all green with this lovely intense shade of blue/violet on the leaf ends where flowering would occur. She didn't know the name of it. I hope it survives transplanting as it is one of the most unique plants I've seen in awhile and wouldn't mind if it reseeded all over my yard! Thanks for your help.

o

I think I recognize the description and the name will come to me in time.... but in the interim you get better answers when you're in the right forum. Try the perennials forum for that question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Stone Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here