Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vignewood_gw

Planting around big rocks

vignewood
14 years ago

Hi, I am very excited that my builder has placed some huge rocks in the yard and on the house side of my paver patio. I have a few ideas of what to plant next spring but I would love to see pictures of what you have done with a similar situation. Vignewood

Comments (15)

• jugglerguy
    14 years ago

Here's one of mine.

{{gwi:288906}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Pictures

• jugglerguy
    14 years ago

Here's one of mine.

{{gwi:288906}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Pictures

• krensgarden
    14 years ago

Here are some pics; I tried to find more of boulders (instead of limestone slabs) but will have to search through my pics a bit more :-)

{{gwi:288907}}

{{gwi:288908}}

{{gwi:288909}}

{{gwi:288910}}

[URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo
    {{gwi:288911}}

{{gwi:288912}}

{{gwi:288913}}

{{gwi:288915}}

{{gwi:288916}}

• vignewood
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love what you have done around your rocks. It is gorgeous and gives me some excellent ideas of what to plant. Thank you so much. Vignewood

• krensgarden
    14 years ago

Hi Vignewood, What type of rocks do you have to work with, such as rounded boulders or flat rock? And how many? Were the rocks on site or did you have them brought in? I hope you keep us updated on your project as it progresses! Karen

• vignewood
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have big boulders much like the ones in jugglerguy's pics. They were excavated onsite and the builder placed a few them on my property at my request. We put in a paver patio and he placed several on each side near the walkout sliders and several more form a natural looking terrace to make gardening on the slight slope on either side of the house easy to create gardens on. I am so excited to be able to have them to work with. My gardens in my other house were very formal and this will be a change for me. The pics jugglerguy sent have been a huge help and inspiration. I'll keep you posted. Any ideas are welcome! If I can figure out how to upload pictures I'll add some in the spring.
    vignewood

• jugglerguy
    14 years ago

I look forward to seeing your pictures. Please take some before as well as after. I think it's really interesting to see those comparison pictures.

• vignewood
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We haven't moved into our house yet (we hope to in a couple of weeks) but here is a before picture of the big rock that I want to plant around in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before picture of my big rock

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

jugglerguy, sorry to hijack your post vignewood, but how did you get the engraving done on your large stone? Did someone come out to your property? or did you have to haul it into their workshop?

krensgarden - wow. That is beautiful, I'm drooling over all that stone and how great you've landscaped with it and chose the perfect plants. And your domed folly? I have some old wooden porch columns and have toyed with the idea of creating something similar. Nice.

• jugglerguy
    14 years ago

I hired a guy who does grave markers to do it. That rock is really, really heavy and there's no way I could have had it delivered there and then back to my house, so he came to me. Anyone who does grave markers has to be mobile, because many times, the death date isn't put on the marker at the same time as the name and birthdate are. I wasn't there when he did it (I was at work) but he said that he uses a rubber stencil and a sandblaster. For some reason, the sand will bounce off the rubber, but will eat away the stone. He had to make a smooth spot with a hand grinder first. I forget the exact price, but it was very reasonable. I think it was $300 or so. He said that it would have been cheaper if the rock was smoother so he wouldn't have had to grind a smooth spot first. Now I'm just praying that they never change the numbering system on my road since it's etched in stone.

• botann
    14 years ago

Here's part of my garden showing some rocks. Arrangement is the key. Builder placed rocks might need some rearranging or fine tuning at best, otherwise they may look like they were dropped from the sky.
    {{gwi:288917}}

• kyme
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

OMG! Shoot me now. I may never go back out in my plain, flat yard again.
    pat

• vignewood
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a few before and in progress pictures. Vignewood

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots

• matthewwilliam
    13 years ago

Hi Jugglry good job. Your interest is perfectly reflected in your all post. All pictures are really beautiful. Thanks for your contribution.

Sponsored