Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

A natural shale/stone facade

(If this is not the most appropriate forum for this question and there is a general "working with natural stone/rock" forum somewhere here that I overlooked, please direct me to it.

Thanks)

I've got several ugly (block, cement block, "cinder block") walls that I'd, instead, much prefer to be attractive, natural stone walls. I know stone facades/veneers of all types, both natural and man-made, are available. Many that I've seen are quite nice but, most to all, very expensive.

I happen to have a creek in my yard and access to fairly large quantities of shale, slate(?) or some other thin, flat(tish) natural stone and it occurred to me that I could probably use it accomplish the same. It would be natural, way, (WAY!) less expensive and kinda cool to use materials from my own yard.

• Is there any reason why this would not work?

• If the surface to be covered had been painted is it necessary that the paint be sand-blasted/scraped/"roughed up"?

..or, in other words, will mortar adher to (old) painted surfaces?

• I assume it would be a good idea to first attach chicken wire or similar to form an anchor for the mortar. True or is this unnecessary?

• I have little experience working with mortar âÂ"especialy on a vertical surfaceâÂ" but I assume for this type of application one would mix a thickest consistancy?

• Do the stones' rear surfaces require some type of advance cleaning or prep?

If so, to what degree: a thorough cleaning with Muriatic acid, scrape or hose off most of the dirt, or just flick off the isopods and ram it in the mud!?

With the store-bought versions, the fabricated stone siding is much lighter weight and I believe the natural stone is usually sliced wafer-thin. I'm unsure how well the mortar will hold onto eal stone in it's battle against gravity.

• Will "sticum" and suction alone be sufficient or should I construct some sort of propped up plywood device to hold all in place while curing?

• Better to do just one row at a time?

Any other relevant suggestions/advice/tips etc. are welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA
More Discussions