Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

Is my Cattle Panel Trellis Arch a Transformer®?

bencjedi
16 years ago

Think I can wrap heavy plastic (such as what mattresses are wrapped in from the factory) around my cattle panel trellis to create a temporary greenhouse? Any ideas for closing in the sides?

{{gwi:286011}}

Needless to say.. I have a tiny back yard, so I am making the most of it. Somehow converting my arch may be the only way I will ever have my little greenhouse. By the way.. the arch only cost me $30 in parts, but 4 hours of construction due to some boulders in the hard, compacted clay soil that makes up my yard.

Comments (9)

• stressbaby
    16 years ago

It has been done. Yours will be small enough that careful attention to temperatures will be needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattle panel hoophouse

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

The same plastic with waterproof tape? You can leave half of it loose so you can open it on sunny days and prevent cooking your plants. It looks like an excellent structure to grow pole beans on. Even a small 6X8' $300 HFGH would fit in your garden I'm sure.

• scott361
    16 years ago

I've built several different ones over the past few years.
    They've all been modified up, each time.

One thing that I did the first year, was to cover the sharp ends with pipe insulators.
    It will help to prevent holes from being poked through the plastic.
    I wrapped them on with the traditional duct tape!
    I used them to extend the season for my tomatoes and it worked great.
    I'm trying to find a photo of how it should look!
    Right now, I have my sheep in there for the winter!;~)
    I figure they'll mulch it for me and weed the summer garden area all winter.
    I just have it covered with a heavy tarp for now.
    I know that I must have other photos...
    Somewhere around here!! ;~)

Scott

• marquette
    16 years ago

Instead of plastic, could you use Agribon (or other floating row-cover fabric) to cover your hoop? Or use Plastic (as you suggest) for roof and use Fabric only on the ends?

It would rain through the fabric, I think, if used as roof, but it might also breathe and prevent the house from overheating. All guesswork, 'cause I have no experience with it. But you asked for ideas.....

There are 3-4 different grades of Agribon fabric. From v.light to heavy. The heavy protects the most against cold. The lightest allows the most day light through (90% I think). Peaceful Valley Farm, Johnny's, Fedco, and others carry it.

Thanks for posting your ideas and great pics. Adorable little yard you have! .......And those deep beds look just super duper.

• ponderosaq
    16 years ago

FarmTek sells small remnants of greenhouse covering materials. My neighbor just stitched several pieces together to cover a larger version of your cattle panel house.Worked out fine...except hers was so large it collapsed in a heavy snow so now she has to put a frame inside it. Mt first GH was 4x6. Evevn though temp was a bit harder to regulate than in a larger one I had great fun with it. Enjoy your little GH!
    PQ

• hex2006
    16 years ago

I`m a firm believer in making things earn the space they take up in the yard and your ingenius arch design sparked some inspiration :)
    I don`t need another greenhouse but it may be useful for someone just the same. I have a kids (triple) swing in the yard with 2" tubular steel A-frames.
    It stands about 7ft tall with a footprint of 7ft x 10ft, wouldn`t take a lot to convert it into a useful winter structure similar to yours.
    Pretty sturdy too as its designed to handle 3 kids swinging on it :)

• cinny
    14 years ago

Love your set up. What kind of wire is that and where did you buy it? Will it rust?

• greenhouser2
    14 years ago

Any co-op or Farm store should have them. Tractor Supply has them here in TN.

• JBFI
    9 years ago

I would split a 16' piece of old garden hose and slip it over the ends of the panel to protect the plastic sheeting. Use wire ties to hold the hose in place. That would do a marvelous job of keeping the cover material from being cut or torn.

This post was edited by JBFI on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 1:14

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years