Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
every1lovesjoey_

Greenhouse location In Arizona

every1lovesjoey_
11 years ago

I wanted to see if any of the experts could give me advice on where to place my greenhouse that will house houseplants and orchids. I want to build a lean to greenhouse as an addition to my house. The back area is the northeast corner of my house. My concern is that I've read that it's not the ideal placement of a greenhouse.

With it being Arizona and the temps getting to 115 in the summer I would think it would be more ideal not to have full sun all the time. The location seems to be shaded a good part of the day but does get sun mid day. Does anyone have any advice or any links I can read on locations in Arizona?

Comments (2)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

joey:

What you have to understand is that a greenhouse needs good temperature controls to be cooler than outdoors at peak summer heat. Just opening a vent here and there will give you 130+ during summer. To hold it down near 100F you'll need evaporative cooling and shade cloth. So I'd think the northeast side of your home would be good for orchids and such. There are ways to increase light levels in winter; remove shade cloth, put in reflectors on the floor or north side, etc.

The south or west side of a home in AZ would be difficult unless you're working with heat loving plants.

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! I plan on installing an evaporative cooling system and a heat source as well. During the summer months I think the North side of my home would be the best location. I made a decision to go with the a BC Greenhouse with polycarb walls.

I'll have to look into reflectors. I've never heard of them.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living