Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenz5

Help me plan my Colorado sunshed

Golden David
9 years ago

This spring I'm converting an existing shed into a sunshed. I live in Colorado at 6000 feet elevation, about 40 degrees north latitude

The shed is 8 feet by 12 feet (on the south side), with wood framing, a wood/plywood floor, and currently has plywood/asphalt shingle roof. There's an existing shelf all the way around the inside of the shed between walls 2 and 3 where indicated.

I plan to remove two of the roof panels indicated, and replace with triple-wall polycarb (if I can afford it)

My intention is to use this as a passive solar greenhouse for seed starting, jumpstarting tender vegetables, season extension, and winter harvesting.

I plan to addthermal mass and fiberglass insulation/vapor barrier/drywall eventually on the north and east/west walls

I attached a rough diagram of the profile of the shed.

My original plan was to replace the asphalt shingle on walls 1 and 2 with polycarbonate panels, and leave wall 3 as plywood construction with some added insulation.

After speaking with my knowledgeable mother-in-law she suggested I may want to leave wall 1 as asphalt shingles, and consider instead glazing walls 2 and 3 or wall 2 only, due to the difficulties of keeping a greenhouse cool in Colorado with all our sunshine here.

So I have some questions:

I'm concerned that glazing wall 2 only would provide insufficient light for plants. Is this something I need to worry about? Is my MIL right about glazing the side and not the roof?

Will keeping the uppermost panel (wall 1) shingled reduce my solar gain significantly?

The shed has an existing plywood-on-2x4 floor. Is there anything I can do to insulate this, or should I not worry about it until it rots, later?

Thanks for any advice, I'm going to cross post this to RMG.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!