Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hobby Greenhouse Monitoring System

Posted by susandonb (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 12:22

Hello All,

I have been researching monitoring systems for my 8x12 greenhouse. I am a bit confused with all the reviews and systems out there. I prefer to get first hand info from those who have used a product. There are quite a few on Ebay and I am trying to stay under $200. I like the idea of being able to keep charts on my puter but am not sure I can find a reliable system in that price range.

I saw the La Crosse systems but a review site did not have very good things to say about them. One guys motherboard got fried by it?

Does anyone have any advice in this area?

Thank you,
Susan in NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hobby Greenhouse Monitoring System

Now I'm confused. Exactly what kind of "monitoring" are you planning? If you want to keep records on temps and humidity over the course of time, why would you need any special programs?

Or- Are you referring to some type of GH sensor that would transmit data directly to your computer?

o

I have a LaCrosse system and it works wonderfully.
It did come with data recorder software that basically pulls the data off the unit when I have it connected to my puter. Otherwise it is not connected, since it needs to be in the window sill in a different room to read from the sensor in the greenhouse (to be in range).
The software that it came with "Data Recorder" is super easy to use and will pull the data off the recorder and has the option to save it to a file. That file can then be loaded into a spreadsheet program like MS Excel or MS Works Spreadsheet.

I love it and don't know how I would monitor the temp and humidity in my greenhouse without it.

o

Bert, I have been looking at those. I came across a site that has reviews on them for systems and the LaCrosse, did not get great reviews but I think I will end up trying one of theirs.

Thanks for sharing your info.
Susan

o

I know this is a bit high, but the think Growtronix is the way to go.
This is the system I plan to go with. It uses standard phone wire. I plan to run cat 5 cable to my Greenhouse and use that to control it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growtronix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here