Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

Passive Solar Heating?

brandond
14 years ago

I was doing some thinking and I think I could get 8 to ten barrels to form a water wall on the east side of the greenhouse. Would that be ok, or does it really need to be on the north side of the wall. The other ? is this really going to help me that much. I tried to establish a conversationg under Heating my greenhouse and it was answered with mostly politically charged comments. I can get the barrels, thats no prob. The ? is will help that much. I could stack them right on top of each other.The small problem with that is it will deflect my solar rays coming from the east. So ok passive solar experts, please inform me. brandon

Comments (6)

• polcat
    14 years ago

No expert here...I think the north wall is preferred because in winter the sun is lower in the sky and the rays tend to strike the north wall. The reverse being true for summer when you don't need to store heat.

So what size barrels and greenhouse? I don't see why the east side wouldn't work, but need to figure the BTU's to know if it will actually help you.

I saw your post with the politicaly charged comments. Here's mine: Stop Global Whinning! :-)

• brandond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My greenhouse is 10x10. Its woodframed.I have a 4x10 sheet of clear polycarbonate on the east wall. The whole south wall is polycarb, and the downwared slope of the roof which measures 6x10 is polycarb. The north wall is cedar siding, and plywood underneath that, then i have reflectix foil insulation stapled on the inside. In terms of space on the inside the east wall would make the most sense. I was going to use 55 gallon black plastic barrels I could get 6 on the east wall easy,not quite enough room for 4 in row, the door wont open all the way then. So this is my setup. thanks

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

brandond,

What is behind the cedar siding north wall? Your house, garage, shed.

Eric

• polcat
    14 years ago

Again no expert and certainly not a math wiz, but here goes:

For full year operation - square feet of glazing * 5 = gallons needed.

I think you have 140 SF of glazing * 5 = 700 gallons
    6 barrels at 55 gallon = 330 gallons

This would extend your growing season but maybe not all year. I'm attaching a link that might help...

Here is a link that might be useful: passive solar

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Hugh,

Here's a thought. How about removing the siding and plywood from the north wall. Stack the 55 gallon drums between the studs. This will be easy if your wall has studs 24" on center. Then build a shed roof off the back. It's like a well insulated closet. Then install the plywood and siding outside of the closet. You'll have the foil bubble wrap left for some where else.

If you put the barrels inside your greenhouse. Your 10X10 becomes 8x10. They take up about 4 sq ft each.

Eric

• dirtytoes2
    14 years ago

Brandond, I live in a passive solar house in "sunny" California. The solar mass (concrete slab and brick fireplace in my case) works very well for mediating the temperature swings, doesn't get too hot, doesn't get too cold. BUT it never soaks up enough sun in the winter to make it comfortable (for humans) without a lot of help from the woodstove. We also have long periods of overcast and rain at which times it doesn't help at all. Even if you can "heat" with your drums, think about emergency back up to protect whatever you just can't lose.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County