Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
japus

Mini Greenhouse..(so it's called)

japus
11 years ago

I found this at one of the local garden centers, it was laying on the ground, a pierce of the outside chap plastic was torn away from the zipper.
I've seen these going for $49.00 to $79.00
I offered the salesman $15.00 and he accepted it.
It is together and structure is sound, however not strong ,
I can brace it up for wind conditions, and add tubing to the shelves for more strength.
I'll have a nice piece here if I am able to make the cover, considering using a quality greenhouse plastic adding some zippers where needed
Suggestions anyone????

Comments (11)

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

It's worth $15 just for the shelves.

Raising the cover up and down every day to ventilate it might get old after a while. If you can't tend it closely, the first improvement you want is some sort of automatic ventilation. It doesn't have to be much, but it will save all of your plants from overheating. An unventilated greenhouse of any size can quickly become a solar cooker on a sunny day.

You're going to want more space very soon, but what you have now is a good way to get started. Have fun.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I have one of these, but I don't put it outside. I use it to start my plants with 2' lights hanging over them. I found it sturdy enough, providing the screws are tight. I don't use the plastic.

• leenamark
    11 years ago

I also made a mini-greenhouse cover for the bed so the crops could get an earlier start. These are inexpensive, yet useful ways of growing crops.

• japus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EVERYONE
    I returned this piece of ^%$# After explaining to the Lowes store clerk, and she checking with the Mgr they gave me a refund.
    The thing fell apart taking it back to the store.
    I replaced it with a substantial unit that I'll have photo's of when done..

• Marshallkey
    11 years ago

These are good for starting seeds inside and then hardening them. They are easy to roll in and out if you have them where you can do it eaisly. They are a little awkward but with care you can do it. They give poor proection in the cold so you need to bring them in. With proper use they will give you an early start to your seedlings. Nice Buy.

• lissatink
    11 years ago

I got the same one at big lots for $15. I drilled holes in the top plastic for air and moisture and reenforced it with some cheap window screening I had for another project. I intend on using it for a large winter-sow container. Hopefully it lasts until spring.

• japus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Try not to stare at it to long, it might disintegrate in front
    of you

• oldhouserichard
    11 years ago

For anyone in the southern NE area, I just bought (at Ocean State Job Lot) and assembled one that looks very much like this -- cost $20, and based on initial assessment it is well worth it -- no castors, but parts were fairly sturdy, went together well. I am using it indoors in a cool area for seed starting. Outdoors it would definitely need to be secured.

• japus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good luck with yours, it may do you well, I hope it does.
    After returning mine, wheels started turning in my head.
    I picked up a 4 shelf unit at Lowes, since it's small and light I am able to transfer it basement and patio.
    Going to make some covers for it, along with grow lights and heating system.
    Cost me $49.00, I have 4 others like these and they are very nicely engineered and capable.
    I think if your careful with yours, $20 is a good deal

• sugarbee03110
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! I just got back from Ocean State Job Lot with one just like the one pictured except no casters. I bought 6 of them!! I plan on starting seeds myself 1st time ever and dont have room for a permanent GH so I thought these would serve the purpose. I can bring them into the house at night. I tried to post a question on one of the greenhouse forums but after I previewed and clicked submit it disappeared and now I wont have my questions answered:( Maybe someone here can help... I need to know what the outside daytime minimum temp should be for me to be able to put my plants inside the GH? I want to put them out after they have grown their 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves but dont know what a safe temp would be. Also what is the max temp for the GH? Any help would be much appreciated!!

• gardener1
    11 years ago

I would wait until it's 60 degrees and make sure to ventilate it will get hot in there. I have one of these that I use in my greenhouse it's great for starting seeds but can and does dry out quickly you must water frequently.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Bamboo Grove