Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faelanae

Building a brick garden structure next to a rotting fence

Isara
10 years ago

Hi everyone:

I have one of those never-ending projects and I hit a roadblock and wanted to get some advice.

We're in a rental where the landlord has given us carte blanche to do whatever we want. So I've been trying to build a keyhole garden using reclaimed bricks. Location option A was eventually rejected because an orange tree would eventually grow up and crowd out much of its sun, and it was next to where a fence would soon need to be replaced. So I moved the project to another, sunny spot where there was nothing impeding the build...

... until I discovered today that the sprinkler irrigation line does not run in a straight line from sprinkler to sprinkler, being instead 2 feet in from the sprinkler, directly under my build site. ARGH.

So back to Option A. Unfortunately, the fence area right there is rotting, but the landlord isn't really super-excited about replacing it (probably has a couple of years before it actually falls down). There are cement garden boxes right next to the fence on the other side, so I doubt those would be easily moved.

Since I would like to actually finish this project ASAP, I'm wondering how much space I should leave by the fence to ensure it can actually be replaced?

Comment (1)