Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brugmansiaddict

Cooling Solution Needed

brugmansiaddict
14 years ago

Hello,

I am purchasing a 6.5' x 16.5' greenhouse soon and I need to keep the max temp, year round, at 70F or below. I live in Southern California where it regularly gets over 100F in the summer. What would be the best way to achieve the temps I am looking for? Evaporative cooler, Foggers, Air conditioner, evap. cooling + a/c?

I don't want the air to be too saturated with moisture, because I don't want to risk fungal and bacterial attacks. I also would not like to use shade cloth if possible.

Thanks for any and all help!!!!

Comments (4)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

What are you growing? 70F or below?

The only thing I can think of is a massive A/C system operationg almost non-stop.

dcarch

• brugmansiaddict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am growing Andean species that generally only bloom at 75F and below.

I guess it's okay if it gets a little warmer than that on those 100F days, but do you think a oversized swamp cooler could bring it down to around 70F on the 80+ days?

Thanks again!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

It all depends on how humid you local air is. Swamp cooler are not very effective in an humid environment.

Also, it uses lot's of water, which can be a big issue in a few areas.

dcarch

• ykerzner
    14 years ago

I agree with dcarch. Maintaining a semi-cool greenhouse, as you propose, at 70 F is really difficult, and even more so with a greenhouse the size you propose. If you still want to do it, you would need a few large, good fans that will be able to pump out the entire volume of air inside the greenhouse every 2 minutes. Fans are usually rated for cubic feet/minute that they can pass. You'd also need a good venting system to exchange air, and shade cloth would be an absolute must.