Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

HFGH Owners - Your Opinion

tsmith2579
16 years ago

I read on this forum about many people who have numerous questions and problems with Harbor Freight GH. It seems to me either the HFGH is very popular or very unpopular. I'm not sure which. So I am asking: (1) Why did you decide on HFGH? Was it price? (2) Would you buy another HFGH? (3) Would you recommend a HFGH to your gardening friends? Please be specific with your answers.

Comments (15)

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

Hello tsmith, yes, I decided on Harbor Freight because of the low price, and because of the posts I read here that gave me confidence I could make this greenhouse do what I wanted. The price allowed me to try a decent-sized greenhouse without investing thousands of dollars.

Yes, IÂd buy one again without hesitation. Now that I know this one will do what I want, I don't know why I'd buy a more expensive greenhouse. The inexpensive structure (even after adding the cost of a few required changes) allowed me to spend more money on other things like benches, cooling, flooring, and other fun stuff. I've only had mine about 7 months, but right now, for my needs and my climate, itÂs been a great value.

Yes, IÂd definitely recommend it to friends. The only person I wouldnÂt recommend it to is someone who wasnÂt interested in a hands-on project, and didnÂt have the interest, time, or patience to do the work of building it. But then again, it seems to me that most people interested in greenhouses already understand that itÂs a hobby requiring some degree of commitment and hands-on effort...even after the structure is up! :-)

One trade off for the low price is there are some modifications that need to be made to make it sturdy in rough weather...but they arenÂt expensive or complicated. The manual is well known for being annoying. The folks in this forum have done a bang-up job of identifying the weaknesses and how to correct them, and I tried to document those tips in my blog as we built ours: Building our Harbor Freight Greenhouse
    Sheri

• funnylady
    16 years ago

Yes I have 3 HFGH's 2 are the 10 X12 made into one. The other is the 6X8. And I love all of them. I put all of them up with very little help from my husband. (He thinks greenhouses are not needed in Florida.)And if I had the room I would add another 10X12 to the 2 I already have.
    I hang orchids from the roof and start a lot of bedding plants on the benches in the spring. (Getting ready to start in about another week.)I also have a lot of Christmas Catus, many colors.
    They are good for the price. And a little extra work.
    Carol

• texazgal
    16 years ago

I wanted a greenhouse for years and then saw this one10x12. So we built it last Oct. I LOVE it! Mudhouse's website has lots of info to make it better, we are getting some wind here in central TX but with the mods, it is holding firm. Got a little heater from Walmart for these 24 degree nites, I am a little disapppointed it doesn't stay warm at night without heater, but we have yet to plug all the little cracks and holes. It probably never will. And on sunny days the temp goes up to 115 even in winter, so you need to open the doors/vents. I know in summer, it will be unusable. But got tomato starts, house plants, peppers from last summer garden, a lemon tree and some grass for the chickens in there. So far, it's working well.

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

{{gwi:69967}}I bought the small $300 HFGH first. I liked the price and the looks. This is the second winter with it. After one season I realized I needed a lot larger GH. We went for the Rion last spring, instead of the larger HFGH.

• gponder
    16 years ago

We're in the process of putting up our 3rd. Have 2 6x8s, now we've graduated to the 10x12. Mudhouse's blog/instruction link is phenomenal. I don't know what we would have done without it and the rest of the GWebers' input. Thanks to all that have contributed. And yes we love our HFGHs!

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Yes for the money it is good. You must do the extra work to make it work. Sherry's advice is great along with others depending upon your climate. We live in a harsh climate zone 4 lots of snow and wind this year and it is still standing yahoo! Thanks to everyone here. I would buy another one but I have hopes to have one like greenhousers next. The Rion.... If you have the money I would go with the Rion not that I dislike the HFGH I do like it alot. My neighbors son came over and looked at ours (they have a homemade leanto) They liked ours so much they went and bought one. You are in alabama so you will not have to worry about snow as much. I would defanetly go for it for the price. Good luck and keep us posted..... Barb

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

I just got mine up and it is worth the price. It involves brains to put it together not that I have any it took 3 of us to form one working brain but I would buy one again. You will have to add in the cost of Flooring, bracing, shelving, heating but it is worth the money. It is Pretty big.

• amigatec
    16 years ago

I have a 10X12 and althou I don't have everything done yet, I still think it's the best GH for the money.

• turquoise
    16 years ago

I've had the small one for about a year now. I absolutely love it. We made a few modifications to make it really sturdy. I've been out there once a week or so in the winter and it's been suprisingly dry and warm (it's unheated). It's gone through a few heavy storms (high winds, heavy snow, sleet, hail) with no damage at all.

We bought it primarily due to the price (with a 30% off coupon!) and flexibility. We only use it for light hobby use and it works perfectly for that.

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

This is my third winter with my little 6x8 and I still love it. With no structural modifications, it fared well through high winds, ice storms and heavy snow - nothing like a zone 5 winter, however. With insulation both inside and out and plenty of water storage for thermal mass, it seems to do quite well energy-wise.

It is becoming quite crowded in there, so I envy the folks who have the space for a larger greenhouse. If I could figure out a way to have the 10x12 and not have it dominate the back yard visually, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

• eurotrash
    16 years ago

To answer your questions:

1) I bought it because it offered a low-cost entry into greenhousing and it has a healthy community of enthusiasts who are willing to help with newbies.

2) I'd buy another one (and the build time would get dramatically shorter.)

3) I'd recommend it to anyone who likes problem solving. It's not perfect, the instruction manual is sometimes vague, sometimes just wrong, but the help you find here (and on peoples websites) is more than enough to help you through the process.

• joeurda
    16 years ago

TSmith,

The price is right to get started with a greenhouse for the LL.

Probably would have been better off just putting the pieces together in a logical fashion rather than reading the directions. The manual lacked a lot.

Would I buy another? Sure would even though this will be the first season in this one.

Enjoy yours.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: My HFGH is ready for spring

• copgib
    16 years ago

I just picked up my HFGH 10'X12' a couple days ago. I am now reading through this forum to get the latest things I need to do to upgrade the greenhouse before I start putting it together. Hugh

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have a greenhouse which I designed and built in 1992. I added on to it about 6 years ago. I asked my question because so many people seemed to have problems with assembling the HFGH. I wondered if anyone was happy with the structure after it was put together. It sounds like for the price paid, the owners are realtively satisfied. The good news is Mudhouse has documented the problems and resolutions.

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

I LOVE IT! It is hard to put together but Go with the 10x12. Its SO worth the price. Some bracing and shelving and your ready to grow. Mine has been 40 outside and 85 inside. I would get one again it was just very frustrating putting it togeter cause your anxious anyways.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH