Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fool4flowers

Home made carport pole greenhouse

fool4flowers
15 years ago

Its almost done. I still have to put the landscape fabric on the floor and build some shelves and put the hardi board over the 6mil plastic but it will be usable in the next couple of days. As it is it gets very warm during the day even on cold days if its sunny but at night its the same temp as outside. I am hoping the hardi board will help insulate it. If not I have to figure out a heat source other than a single electric heater I had planned to use. Any ideas? Its about 12x 24 and hubbies first time ever working with wood so I think for a couple of beginners its turning out pretty well.

{{gwi:288807}}

{{gwi:288809}}

{{gwi:288812}}

{{gwi:288814}}

{{gwi:288815}}

{{gwi:288816}}

{{gwi:288817}}

Comments (9)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

What a great, roomy greenhouse. Congratulations!

• funnylady
    15 years ago

Looks great Now you need some benches and you can start to fill it up.
    Good luck

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My entire garage if full of plants, lol. I am going to put some benches but I have so many large plants I need a lot of floor space as well.

• wilbilt
    15 years ago

That looks great, much better than the one I am currently constructing using kiwi poles and an old satellite dish.

Karma points for using recycled materials, right?

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope so, lol. Originally I was just going to cover the tent like structure with plastic but it progresses slowly from there, lol. I got the hardi board from a friend so I think that will last longer if I cover the plastic with it and help insulate. I moved in about half the plants yesterday and it stayed at 54 in there even though it dropped down to 43 with one small electric heater so I am going to try the bigger heater tonight since we are going to have a freeze next week. If that doesn't raise it higher I will bring the propane one from the shop home for the extra cold nights but the small one is fine for the not so cold nights. I'll take a pic later.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Nice job. Looks as if your pets are enjoying it, too.

We lived briefly in Copperas Cove, nearly fifty years ago. The one thing I best remember was a house in our neighborhood that looked like an oasis in July, the yard all green and leafy.

I hope you'll show pics when your GH is all filled with plants.

Nell

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Looks very well done from here. Enjoy!

Dan

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks I got the landscape fabric down and a some of the plants moved in over the weekend. I'll take some more pics today. Its a challenge to have a green oasis here in almost desert conditions but I try, lol. Everything looks so brown and ugly right now outside that it gives me a lot of pleasure to have plants in the garage and greenhouse overwinter. They look pretty bad since I had to take them in so early this year. I usually don't have to take them in until late December or early January but they have been in since Oct.

• msmacgyver
    15 years ago

Wow it looks awesome. I look forward to seeing it full of plants.
    Have you thought of using bubble wrap for extra insulation? I've also heard people put up plastic to lower the roof and keep the heat close to the plants. They remove it as it gets warmer.
    Bernie

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994