Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

what about a power outage? Backup?

hairmetal4ever
14 years ago

Just had a thought while driving to work and thinking of my (hopeful future) greenhouse. Yeah, I'm a dork, a 32 year old guy who wears a suit to work, with a wife and kid, and I spend my spare time thinking about this...

Anyway...what about a power outage? I lived through the several day long blackout in the NE/Midwest back in August 2003, which was also accompanied by VERY hot weather...so it got me thinking.

In winter, I plan to use natural gas heat, but you still need to power the electronic portion, right? And the thermostats?

And summer? One hot day with a power outage = no ventilation fans = cooked plants in a 160 degree hell!

Question:

Is there some type of battery backup pack, like what people use for computers, that you can plug your stuff in to that can have enough juice to power the essentials (heater electronics and ventilation fans) for even just a few hours?

While I do own a generator, my fear is that an outage would happen while my wife and I are at work, and nobody is home to fire up the generator, much less even KNOW that the power has gone out!!

Comments (12)

• fuzzymoto
    14 years ago

My main heater (propane) does not require electricity to start or run. It has a standard pilot light. My roof & front wall vents are heat operated and open and close automatically. Yes my supplemental electri heater and vent/circulation fans would go out but it would not be a disasterous problem for us in either summer or winter. This setup is by design by the way. We often go out of town and out watering, fertilization, misting, cooling and heating are all on auto-pilot.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How hot do your summers get, Fuzzy?

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just curious...how much wattage does a 6100 CFM ventilation fan (like sold by ACF) draw?

• planthouse
    14 years ago

When you own any type of greenhouse that you plan on using to grow in the cold months, you need backup. Backup generator to run Furnace,Fans,Water heater,etc or some other type of backup heat source, like propane heater.
    I use a standby generator and a sensaphone to call me if i am not home, i need power on in 30 minute during the day and 15 minutes at night before the greenhouse gets to cold.
    During the summer using shade cloths over the greenhouse helps to keep temps under control if power fails
    and to answer your question 6100 cfm fan will take 5 amps at 120v

Carl

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

You will need vents in the ends of your greenhouse. I have a small section of double polycarb at the top back panel that I remove in summer and I leave the front door open. Hot air vents out the removed panel and feeds in through the door. I can't imagine what you would keep inside the greenhouse in summer. In winter I heat with K-1 kerosene heaters. The next time I need to replace them I an installing a gas line and a blue flame gas heater. You can get thermostat controlled heaters which have a metal strip which is heated by the pilot light. The strip creates enough electricity to turn your thermostat on and off. My in-laws had a floor furnace that worked even when the power went out.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wonder if a generator can be set to auto-start in case of power failure?

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

hair

There are many standby generators on the market.

Google: Standby Generator

Eric

• calliope
    14 years ago

It's a good idea to have manual drop windows in a greenhouse, in addition to fans. There are many days when just opening the house to air will be sufficient. I do that often when I have a sunny day in winter and don't want a fan to kick on and the louvers to open and suck icy air over the plants. In summer or any other time when you know you won't get a sudden temp drop..........the manual vents take over a lot of the cooling until it just gets so hot the fans kick on. Saves you $$$ and also buys you some time in a summer electrical outage to get more shade on, drop the sides, whatever until the fans get operational.

Sensaphones are great if you are in a position to leave and get to your g'house or have someone else get to it in an emergency. I have airhorns hooked up to my temp alarms because I either have a baby-sitter for my g'houses if I am away when crops are in, or I don't leave them for anymore than a few hours at a time.

Back-up heat is a good idea even with a generator. I have a maintenance man who will come day or night, but it doesn't help if it needs a part they don't have. I use propane fired torpedo heaters.

My g'houses will usually hold four hours without a furnace in the bitter cold before it becomes critical. Ask me how I know. LOL. My biggest worry is irrigation. I don't have my g'house well electricals modified to hook to generators. I never thought of it to be honest until I had to carry water by the bucket to thousands of poinsettias from my spring in a three day snow storm. LOL.

• stressbaby
    14 years ago

I've never thoroughly tested one of my methods (thankfully), but I'll share it. I have a line from the well through a "normally-open" valve to my overhead misting system. With power on, the valve is closed and systems function normally. If power is lost, the valve opens and mist turns on continuously. The idea is just to buy me enough time to get home and hook up the generator.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    14 years ago

good idea, Stressbaby.

I go out of town (as in more than 9 hrs away) several times a year (family). Therefore, something automatic is best...but even if I can buy a little time until someone can go over and fix it, that might be sufficient.

I'd like one of those Standby generators - I think one for our house itself is a good idea anyway, but they're INSANELY expensive!

• fuzzymoto
    14 years ago

mairmetalforever...we see 90's F regularly in summer and we're all-glass too. It's not optimal, but with our interior shade cloth, our 4 auto vents and auto-misters we're find without power even on our hotest days. We typically also have a constant breeze to help.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FWIW, I'll probably use a French patio door with full-length glass as my GH door, and open both of the double doors wide open, pretty much through the entire summer.