Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggievicki

pros and cons of wood

veggievicki
11 years ago

The hubby has an old high school friend that has a saw mill close by. He cuts cedar for different suppliers and has what he calls seconds for $2.50 each, eight foot two by fours that are really two by four and more like eight foot six. This would be very cost competitive with the metal structures or pvc so I'm wondering what you all would see as the pros and cons. The most cost effective for using the lumber would be eight foot side walls with a three twelve pitch that would give me about a fifteen foot wide structure.

Comments (7)

• User
    11 years ago

Cedar 2x4 structure will be stronger than pvc and easier to attach plastic film and anything else that needs attaching. Also think that the cedar will be ascetically more pleasing. My 12x15 is made from 2x4's and I support a lot of plants from the rafters.

• ddsack
    11 years ago

I can't see any cons if you have a cheap source of cedar lumber. Wood is strong, easy to work with to configure to your needs. Minor adjustments or later additions are easily incorporated. Just make sure you have a solid, perfectly level base to anchor to.

• steve333_gw
    11 years ago

You might need to investigate what he calls seconds. If there are large voids or knots then it might compromise the strength of the 2x4. Especially for the roof rafters.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Nothing beats wood I made wood frame and wad easy to attach the plastic siding. I was told you should put insulation. I easily attached insulation sheets and covered with another plastic film very easy. If it was not for the wood frame it would be a problem to do it.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    11 years ago

There are cons for everything but it appears that you have a good deal going. I'd seriously look into it.

However, if the cedar isn't planed and rafter joints smothed the rough edges could rip the film. Also count on blocked sunlight due to increased thickness of the structural materials over pipe. Construction may be more labor intensive if you dig all the holes by hand for anchoring the structure. You could just set it on the ground and pound in anchors. In the end you should have a nice looking greenhouse. Most of us just can't begin to build a wood structure when we compare the cost of wood to pipe.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

To me wood frame for the greenhouse is the best. It is easy to attach the plastic film I use staple gun very easy. Also it is easy to attach insulation I insulated the north and west sides of my greenhouse that is where the wind hits, I did not insulate the ceiling to allow the sun to come through also I am using a propane heater 60% cheaper than electricity.I just read the meter which reads 66 F not bad the temp outside is 23. The only trick is never leave the propane heater unattended.

• Brad Edwards
    11 years ago

I like cinder block bottoms, 4x4 cedar or treated pine for the sides, and 2x4 for the joist. I also like 2x6 for the top center truss.