Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
web4deb

HFGH 10x12 doors

web4deb
15 years ago

"That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!"

After wrestling with the terrible sliding doors for the last year, I've and enough! The other day there was enough ice buildup in the track where it just forced the entire door off...Trying to put it back on in the freezing temps, I managed to pop off the little WHITE wheels into the WHITE snow. Needless to say, that was the end of the door.

I built a frame around the opening with treated 2x3's and built a nice new set or doors....on hinges!!! I was able to salvage the existing glazing and cut each panel down just a little (since my new doors are slightly smaller than the old ones because of the door jamb. The existing door opening was slightly skewed so I loosened all the bolts on that wall and gave the structure a little push with my tractor bucket. Squared it right up! ;-) round the entire perimeter of the doors, I installed foam weather stripping and it sealed it up quite nicely.

This is what harbor freight should have done with their original design!
{{gwi:289172}}From Misc

Comments (12)

• C Schaffner
    15 years ago

Now, that looks great. When mine give out, I hope to do something similar.

• mudhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I agree, I think that looks super! Nice job!

• web4deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've made a few modifications since I was worried about the snow load. It helps A LOT to add some tie rods between some of the rafters.
    {{gwi:289173}}From Building the Harbor Freight 10x12 Greenhouse

I wrote about it in my blog which I linked below. It shows some improvements about securing the glazing better....make sure you look for mudhouse's blog. She wrote some good details on what. (I "borrowed" her idea on screwing the glazing in place...works great!)

Frost is a big problem this year....but I've been experimenting with no heat and I have an open warm water tank keeping the humidity way too high!

Here is a link that might be useful: My greenhouse

• mudhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I need to clarify that I took the idea of screwing the glazing in place from the early crew of Harbor Freight pioneers here...Gardenerwantabe and others, who bravely blazed the trail for the rest of us following behind!

I keep thinking what a pleasure it must be to swing those doors open. Do they swing open 180° to lay flat against the front of the greenhouse? I'm thinking I'd have to find a way to anchor them down, when open, or our flukey winds could really flop them about (we lost a chunk of a big tree today to winds, so it's on my mind.)

Your blog is super.

• web4deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They do swing out 180...makes a nice big opening. The left door latches from the inside so I'll probably just keep it closed all the time. I does extend past the edge of the greenhouse a bit so the wind can grab it. I'll probably have to add some kind of hook/latch to hold it open. right now I prop it open with a board. ;-)

• gardenerwantabe
    15 years ago

Perhaps if you had squared the frame to start with the doors would have worked.

I read all this drama over the doors mine is in it's 4th season and the doors work fine.

In the spring I can crack the doors and let in some cool air and they will stay in place can't do that with a swinging door a gust of wind would whip it around into the GH and tear something up.
    I mention to my wife that many people was installing swinging doors and she said I don't want them the ones we have work fine so if the little woman can slide them and no reason she can't they slide real easy.
    In my opinion the sliding doors are MUCH better than a swinging door that must remain latched or it will be tore off by the wind.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

BRAVO...Me likes it

how did you get the poly panels to stay in place?

I think I might try to build something like that but with screens for the summer. I've just got to figure out if it will work better for it to be on the inside or on the outside of the existing door.

• mudhouse_gw
    15 years ago

Gardenerwantabe wrote:
    "In the spring I can crack the doors and let in some cool air and they will stay in place"

Yup, I do the same thing, all the time, so that'a big plus for me when considering sliding versus hinged.

I just think our winds here are just too wicked, and my GH is positioned so it's constantly smacked by winds on the doors. And, our winters are too mild for icing problems. Sliders for me, I guess, but I'm happy to see such a good solution for folks who need it.

• stressbaby
    15 years ago

With the door web4deb has designed, the swinging problem could easily be addressed with a hydraulic screen/storm door closer kit, $12-15 at the local hardware store.

I have a Pella storm door on my GH and it has two, one at the top and one at the bottom. No problems with wind.

• web4deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

can you open your doors 180 degrees with the storm door closer?

• Tom Ravgiala
    8 years ago

Ended up buying from BC Greenhouses and could not be happier. Greenhouse has been up and running for several years now and has weathered 90 MPH winds, Ice Storms and record breaking snowfall without an issue. HIGHLY suggest BC Greenhouses....