Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ground insulation

Posted by rjg_syracuse (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 06 at 9:58

As name suggests, this is syracuse, ny. Considering purchasing a greenhouse (Sunglo) to attach to side of garage. Had not seen the idea of insulating the ground discussed to any real degree. Some ideas I've seen are to put a vertical styrofoam board two feet down around the perimeter. Was also wondering of excavating existing soil (I was going to put gravel down anyway with a brick walkway down the middle) and laying styrofoam insualtion boards flat, then cover with several inches of gravel. All of this to insulate the house from cold soil conditions coming in from surrounding area in winter. Was thinking I could deal with any drainage concerns by not being precise with how the styrofoam fits, as well as poking holes in it through the gravel if need be. Does anyone have a thought on this - wondering if any part of this idea makes sense. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ground insulation

I'm attaching mine to the back of my home. Our code for foundations state the depth must be 36". I will be putting up the foam board around the foundation. The fourth side will be up against the house. I would think this to be sufficient...especially if you plan on heating the space. You could always double up on the foam boards around the foundation as well. I don't believe you would like the results of laying the boards on the ground. Just my two cents.

o
RE: ground insulation

Thanks - I think you are absolutely correct. A friend mentioned that laying styrofoam on the ground would actually diminish the ability of the ground to cool the house in the summer and actually warm it in the winter as ground temperature is mid fifties. So putting boards around perimeter makes best sense because that will prevent the colder temps of winter from travelling in without losing the other good effects of normal ground temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here